Black History Month: To Be Black in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Black History Month: A month of Reflection, dedication, and remembrane. Everyday, like many others, I am reminded of my skin color and what a beautiful reflection it is. Looking back, there was a time when my ancestors were seen as less than human who were enslaved and restricted. History itself is a cycle in which we all revert back to truly understand where we’re going and who we really are, which is why it’s so important to know and understand black history.  

Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks and George Washington Carver are just a few black greats many are familiar with, but I challenge you to learn about the hidden hero’s and the masked magnificents’ that have shaped the Americas with their contribution. You’d be surprised to learn the impact of African-Americans from the invention of the stoplight to the fire escape. They have had a hand in some of the little things you encounter in your daily life. The 21st century has made being black in America a movement in which we have freedom, opportunity and evolution.

To be black in America means to be a poet like Maya Angelou.

To be black in America means to be a scientist like Emmett Chappelle.

To be black in America means to be a doctor like Ben Carson.

To be black in America means to be educated.

To be black in America means to be the president of the United States like Barak Obama. 

To be black in America means to be free and equal with those who don’t look like me.

To be black in America means to be great.

Finally, I challenge you to get out of your comfort zone and learn the history that is not always noticed. This February I honor my ancestors and offer this month as the month of reflection, dedication and remembrance.

Happy Black History Month!

HC Contributer Mizzou