Beating The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
I’ve had numerous conversations lately about how much the weather affects our moods. And with our unusual Missouri weather, it’s been a roller coaster ride lately. During our unseasonably warm February weather two weeks ago, I was cheerful and ready to take on the day. Once the rain and cold returned, I had no desire to do anything except sit in my room, watch reruns of Kourtney and Kim Take New York and eat Twizzlers. Here are five simple ways to beat the winter blues and boost your mood.

Exercise
– I know. I know. The last thing you want to do is walk to the gym, but a good workout can improve your mood no matter the season. It will boost your energy level, and then you can indulge in a hot shower when you’re done! If you can’t stand the thought of the treadmill one more time, try taking an upbeat class, such as Zumba or Hip-Hop.

Listen to music – Make a playlist of the happiest songs you know. It’s hard not to sing along and smile. My suggestions are “Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles, “Island in the Sun” by Weezer and “No Rain” by Blind Melon. Take a homework break to get up and dance to this playlist.

Laugh – Take a break from required reading and spend the weekend reading a laugh-out-loud funny book. You can’t go wrong with Bossypants by Tina Fey or Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. Or catch the latest episode of Modern Family on Hulu.

Make something – Try the craft you found on Pinterest. It doesn’t have to be perfect as long as you have fun with it. Check out the Pinterest projects our staff members made if you need some inspiration.

Buy yourself flowers
– Yes, you can buy flowers for yourself. They smell nice, they look nice and they will remind you that spring is coming. Put them in a cute vase on your dresser, so you’ll be able to see them as you’re getting ready in the morning.

If you notice a serious change in your mood, you could suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. SAD varies in severity and is thought to be caused by lack of sunlight. There are several treatments, including light therapy, for SAD. As always, talk to your doctor first. And remember collegiettes, it won’t be cold and dreary forever; sundresses are right around the corner!

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!