5 Ways To Decorate Your Apartment Or Dorm For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As I’m writing this, I’m playing Idina Menzel’s “Holiday Wishes” full blast with my door wide open — sorry, roommates! The holiday season puts me in such a good mood that I tend stop focusing on studying for finals and focus more on what cute Elf on a Shelf I’m going to get my mom this year and how I’m going to decorate my apartment in the most excessive Christmas-y ways possible. I’m sure many of you can relate. 

I started with the Christmas décor in August when I decided to add bright white icicle lights in my room where the walls meet the ceiling. Currently, I am in the process of convincing my roommates to let me take the decorations from my room to the entire apartment. I’ve found that seasonal decorating is a great way to channel your inner creativity. Here are some awesome and inexpensive ways to decorate your dorm or apartment for the holidays!

1. Lights

This is probably the easiest way to give your place a burst of Christmas spirit. They can be nailed or tacked around your window in your room, around your front door, on your patio or basically anywhere —  especially if you live in an apartment. 

2. DIY holly wreath

This is where you can really get your creative juices flowing! It’s cheap and you get all the supplies you need from Michael’s. 

What you’ll need:

– 22-inch-diameter silver fir wreath, $7.00

– Large holly branch, $2.00

– Floral shears, $5.50

– 2 yards red satin ribbon, $2.69

– U pins, $1.75

Step 1: Trim holly branches with shears to make twelve 4-inch berry sprigs. Align each stem with 1 floral pick and wrap with wire to secure.

Step 2: Starting at the bottom just off-center of the wreath, insert sprigs, continuing about ¾ of the way up each side.

Step 3: Wrap a 1-foot ribbon length around bottom of wreath. Secure at back with U pins.

Step 4: Tie remaining ribbon length into a large bow. Attach to wreath with pins, inserting beneath bow to hide. Trim bow tails to desired length. To create scalloped edges, fold ends accordion-style into fourths and round end with scissors.

3. Dollar Tree Christmas in a Bowl Décor 

If you’re about the simplicity of beauty, this decoration is for you! Go to your local dollar store, buy a pack of your favorite ornaments, and put them in a vase or a fishbowl. Simple as that! 

4. Monogrammed Christmas stockings

This is a great way to get into the Christmas spirit with your roommate(s)! These can be found on Etsy for $15.

5. Wall Christmas tree

I’m sure you all know how expensive and high maintenance Christmas trees can be, so I won’t bore you with details of how to fit a Christmas tree in your tiny dorm room while also constantly reminding you how broke you are. Instead, here’s a fun and easy way to make your own Christmas tree!

All you need is some washable, off-white chalk to outline in the shape of a Christmas tree on your wall. Again, visit your local dollar store and pick up one strand of lights or beads and one pack of ornaments in whichever color you’d like. String the lights or beads however you want and tack them to the wall. Finally, hang the ornaments on the strand of lights/beads and you have yourself a Christmas tree!

Hopefully these tips convince your roommates that you are a creative Christmas lover rather than crazed, over-jolly, Christmas fanatic. Happy holidays!

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.