This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Back to school is a paradise for organizational freaks like me, who are thrilled by the aisles of school supplies and abundance of planners. However, not everyone shares this unique obsession. Some people may need a little inspiration for studying and organization for going back to school. Here are some tips to get (and STAY) organized.

Buy a Planner and Actually Use It

We all know the drill: you find a super cute planner, promise yourself THIS will be the year you use it, and by the end of September it hasn’t left your desk. Make this the year you really do it. Do your research and figure out what works best for you: monthly, weekly, daily or all three. Target, Lily Pulitzer and Erin Condren offer some great options. And you definitely don’t need to break the bank. My favorite and most recent planner was only $15 at Target.

Print Your Syllabi

This tip is truly the key to time management in my opinion. Every teacher will give you a syllabus, which you may or may not throw in a folder and never touch again. DON’T DO THAT. Take that syllabus and your fresh planner and start writing down important dates. Write homework, projects, tests and other main assignments in a monthly layout in your planner. This will help you visualize which weeks are super busy for you (which can help you plan for studying ahead) and which weeks are not.

Make To-Do Lists

Make a list of things you need to do, ordering them from most important/urgent to least important. Also try to only put things you really think you’re going to do, not just everything possible. Be realistic.

Schedule Your Day

We all have those days where it seems like there just aren’t enough hours to get things done. But there can be if you plan well! Print out an hourly sheet planner like this one. Write in your classes and mandatory meetings or other obligations, and then fill in the gaps with other tasks you need to complete.

Make Relationships With Professors

Go to your teacher’s office hours, or at the very least, introduce yourself to them. Participate in class discussions and be an active member of your class. This will show your teacher you care and possibly lead to a good recommendation later! Who knows, they may even boost your grade if you’re on the border.

HC Contributer Mizzou