10 Struggles Of Being The Friend Who Tells It Like It Is

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Being the only one in your squad willing to tell your friend that what she’s wearing makes her look fat definitely has its downsides. But don’t despair, these “weaknesses” are actually strengths in disguise.

1. You quickly become everyone’s pitbulll

When your friends are too scared to even give their Uber driver a bad rating, you’re the one to give impromptu directions from the backseat. Whenever one of your friends has a problem, you’re the one to take up for them, because you’re never afraid to offend.

2. People always think you’re a bitch

Even though you’re totally not! Being unapologetically blunt, you’re destined to have multiple enemies. Ignore them! They’re just too sensitive. You can sleep with a clear conscience because you know you told the truth. Even if it did come off a little… bitchy.

3. Your sense of justice is always on point

Behind your perceived tough exterior is a warm heart. You just express it in a different way. Because of this, you’re never afraid to call out someone who’s treating other people unfairly. And when you do decide to call them out, even the worst of bullies can get shut down.

4. People will ask for your advice, then be mad with the response

This never fails. People naturally want to be consoled and assured that their planned course of action for any given situation is the best one. Sorry, you just don’t have time to do that. If they want to be consoled, they should call their mother! You, on the other hand, don’t mind telling them about the many things that are wrong with their stance. And when the backlash hits, you’re always confused.

5. You’re always honest

The truth is always on your side. Even though honesty isn’t ALWAYS the best policy, you find solace and feel at ease when the truth is on the table, no matter if it may hurt. Plus, your shade receptors are always on.

6.  You’re the grim reaper of information

When it comes to bad news, messy situations, and complex conflicts; you’re the one to call. You’re courageous enough to tell your friend that her boyfriend is cheating on her and loyal enough to let her cry on her shoulders for 12 hours straight.

7. Your squad never looks bad

You’d never walk out the house in cross print leggings or crocs, so why would you let your girlfriends do the same? You’re not one to hold your tongue about a fashion faux pas, so if Sally gets peeved that you demanded she go change out of her ill fitting denim cutoffs in favor of a nice satin romper, too bad. Better she be mad than look like a walking meme.

8. You’re the one to steer your friends right

Instead of Jesus taking the wheel, it’s always you. Since you have little tolerance for weakness when it comes to your inner circle, you’re always the one to give a heavily needed slap back to reality when one of your friends has gone off the rails… again.

9. You’re always kidding

Well, not really. But if you don’t disguise some of your blunt banter as harmless, friendly jokes, you won’t have any friends.

10. Catcallers don’t stand a chance with your friend group.

You simply won’t take any of their mess. Picture this: your friends and you are walking down the street, looking fab as usual. As you walk past a group of creepy looking dudes, they ask if they “can get a hug.” While the rest of your girlfriends avert their eyes and keep walking, you decide to fire back, “Hug your mother, you got a face only she could love!”

Fashion and Food enthusiast from Brooklyn, NY.
HC Contributer Mizzou