10 Shows To Get Hooked On This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Sure, summer is for tanning and swimming and internships, but it’s also a three-month window of free time. This means that lying in your bed for a week binge watching your new favorite TV show is absolutely acceptable. I’ve compiled a list of 10 shows on Netflix that will keep you on your toes — and glued to the screen

1. “Mad Men”

This well-written, high society TV show takes place in the late ’50s and early ’60s, and focuses on the fascinating lives of some of New York’s finest ad men. This show will make you think, make you laugh and make you want to back to the ’60s.

2. “Parks and Recreation”

More commonly known as “Parks and Rec,” this show is both hilarious and upbeat. Though the show isn’t filled with romance or drama, it’s basically “The Office’s” funny cousin. How can you go wrong with that? Bonus: The episodes are only 20-25 minutes long, so go ahead and treat yo self.

3. “One Tree Hill”

All nine seasons of this show are on Netflix, which means it’s a pretty big commitment. “One Tree Hill” is also an emotional investment, but it is well worth it. This show has it all: drama, love, friendship and suspense.

4. “Grey’s Anatomy”

I thought “One Tree Hill” was a commitment, but then I started watching “Grey’s.” This series centers on a group of aspiring surgeons in Seattle, and is by far one of my favorite shows that I’ve watched on Netflix. Personal drama combined with surgical drama makes for a great combination.

5. “How I Met Your Mother”

Another funny, lighthearted show that will keep you hooked until the end. “HIMYM” will teach you about love and friendship. The series is mainly told in flashbacks, as an older Ted tells his kids the story of how he met their mother.

6. “Gossip Girl”

This is the show to watch if you’re looking for drama, plot twists and love affairs. “Gossip Girl” follows the “scandalous lives” of a privileged group of teenagers living in the Upper East Side of New York City. Bonus: The clothes on this show are to die for. Part of the fun of this show is seeing what Serena or Blair will wear next.

7. “House of Cards”

Netflix’s first original series was a huge hit, and for good reason. Watch as Frank Underwood, a ruthless politician, tries to conquer Washington D.C. and get revenge on those who betrayed him.

8. “Friday Night Lights”

If you love football movies, “FNL” should definitely be on your Netflix queue. This series is all about the game of football, with a healthy dose of personal drama and love stories thrown in.

9. “Breaking Bad”

If you haven’t already watched this series, you’ve definitely heard of it. “Breaking Bad” is a complex story of a high school teacher who teams up with a former student to create and sell the world’s purest crystal meth.

10. “New Girl”

For those looking something both refreshing and fun, “New Girl” is for you. After a bad break-up, Jess decides to move in with three single men, and the result is a show that will keep you laughing and watching until the end.

A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO
HC Contributer Mizzou