How to Deal with Being a Liberal in a Conservative Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Living in a right-winged family when you’re leaning to the left is a constant battle. To put things in perspective, picture your family being die-hard Badgers fans and you’re the only one who reps maroon and gold. Or, everyone in your family is a cat-person while you’re allergic to cats and break out every time you come in contact with them. In any scenario, it’s hard to be the outsider in a room full of people who don’t see the world in the same way you do. Here are some tips for surviving as the only liberal in a conservative family:

Avoid politics if at all possible.

Yes, the obvious answer is to just not bring up politics. Just avoid the massive elephant in the room. Pretend everything is all fine and dandy and that everyone believes in the same thing. It may sound naive, but it can potentially save some awkward arguments at the dinner table. I mean really, the last thing you want to hear about while enjoying your mashed potatoes is how Trump is “going to make America great again.”

Educate yourself.

If there’s no possible way to avoid an argument, make sure you’re prepared. You don’t have to read all the way back to when Lincoln was President, but it always helps to have statistics in your back pocket for discussions. Read about current events, not only to use for family discussions, but also because it’s always important to know what the heck is going on in the world. Do a little more digging than what you find on Facebook. I know that Donald Trump has said some pretty unbelievable things in his lifetime, so it’s easy to see an article and assume that it’s true, but there are some fabricated articles floating around that you do not want to quote.

Know that you don’t know everything.

While it’s vital to keep up on current events, keep in mind that you’re not going to know everything about everything. There are some topics that you’re not going to have all the facts about. Don’t claim that you know everything;  acknowledge when you don’t know enough about a topic to discuss it.

“When they go low, you go high.”

In the words of Michelle Obama, “when they go low, you go high.” Take the high road in conversations. As a millennial, people expect you to be educated about politics, but then constantly bash your opinion because you haven’t experienced enough of the real world. It’s very hard to keep your personal life out of debates, but even if Aunt Shirley makes a cheap shot at you, remember to continue to only talk about the real issues. It may seem tempting to call her out on all of her past mistakes, but try to keep conversations classy.

Find support outside of your family.

For those times where your family is driving you nuts, try to talk to a friend to blow off some stream. It always helps to have a long vent sesh with someone who does share the same views as you to try to get back on track.

Learn to accept the differences.

What is life without a little conflict? Yes, it would be cool to be on the same page with all of your loved ones, but everyone has different experiences in life that lead them to their views. Embrace the variance in political views, even if you can’t imagine how anyone could ever possibly vote for Trump.

You know what they say, you can’t choose your family. You have to learn how to deal with your ideological differences so your family reunions are a little more bearable. These are just a few tips, but with less than a week left, we hope they help you make it through this election cycle and beyond!

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96