nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

13 Must-See Concerts of Summer 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

With summer quickly approaching, so is the season of outdoor concerts and music festivals. We all hear about these concerts and festivals, but when there are so many, it’s hard to remember dates, locations and who’s performing at what festivals. Here’s a list of our picks to guide you to this summer’s hottest concerts and festivals in the Midwest.

1. Lollapalooza

According to Billboard Lollapalooza is known as one of the biggest music festivals in the United States, particularly in the Midwest, drawing in 300,000 fans last year. This four-day music festival takes place in Grant Park, Chicago, where there are eight stages and over 170 bands performing. While it might be impossible to see every performer, you will have to be sure to see the big headliners this summer such as J. Cole, Lana Del Ray, G-Eazy, Radiohead, Ellie Goulding, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mac Miller, Bastille and so many more amazing artists. This festival will surely be one to remember. Fun fact—this year’s the 25th anniversary!

July 28-31, Grant Park, Chicago

2. Home Free

Home Free is an a cappella group known for winning the fourth season of NBC’s “The Sing Off.” If you like to support local music, this group actually formed right in Mankato while the five men were in their teens, and they’re coming back to their home state on June 12. To add to the excitement, the concert is at the Minnesota Zoo. How fun!

June 12, Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley, Minn.

3. WE Fest

WE Fest is the perfect occasion to get away with your friends for a few days and really enjoy some great music. If you’re a country fan, this is the music festival to be at! This three-day festival features talented artists such as Tim McGraw, Eric Church, Kid Rock, Steven Tyler, Lee Brice and plenty more performers. You won’t want to miss this one!

Aug. 4-6, Detroit Lakes, Minn.

4. Beyoncé

All hail the Queen herself, Beyoncé, on her Formation World Tour! Beyoncé will be stopping in Minneapolis on her tour, and contrary to the popular belief, there are plenty of tickets still available for purchase. You can dance the night away with this concert, so ladies get in formation and buy your tickets!

May 23, TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minn.

5. Basilica Block Party

Basilica Block Party is a tradition for many people in the Metro area. Every year an arrangement of rock and pop artists perform at the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis, with the proceeds from this event benefitting the Basilica Landmark. According to the Basilica Landmark website, the Basilica of St. Mary was the first Basilica in the United States with amazing architecture by the French architect Emmanuel Masqueray. It’s important to support the Basilica as it isn’t only a landmark, but also an arts center and refuge for those in need. This event is the perfect idea for a fun summer night out with your friends in The Cities.

July 8-9, Basilica of St. Mary, Minneapolis, Minn.

6. Summer Sixteen Tour

This is the concert that’s recently been blowing up all over Twitter. The Summer Sixteen Tour is the popular rapper Drake and hip-hop artist Future’s summer tour. I can already tell this concert will be one huge party that you don’t want to miss out on. These tickets will more than likely sell fast because of such popularity, so make sure to get yours quickly!

July 24, Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minn.

7. Summerfest

Summerfest probably has the most big-name artists and wide variety of genres in one festival. This festival has everything, from Blake Shelton and Def Leppard to Selena Gomez and Panic! At The Disco. With performers from Paul McCartney to Weird Al, you’re sure to find an artist there that interests you. This festival is 11 days long and will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.

June 29-July 10, Milwaukee, Wis.

8. Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas

If you’re trying to listen to Disney stars turned power solo artists, then this is your concert! We’ve been watching Demi and Nick perform since Camp Rock back in middle school, but they have grown so much, who wouldn’t want to see them slay the stage together? This concert will be a fun one to sing along to and will have you dancing the night away. Not to mention, a special guest, Mike Posner, will be there!

Aug. 31, Minnesota State Fair, St. Paul, Minn.

9. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

This hip-hop duo was first made popular with their hit “Thrift Shop.” They changed the music world with their song “Same Love,” addressing gay rights and homophobia, particularly in the hip-hop community. This was very revolutionary in the hip-hop community, and created a lot of discussion. This is certainly a show you won’t want to miss. These guys are insanely talented!

June 8, US Bank Theater at Target Center, Minneapolis, Minn.

10. Country Jam

Alongside WE Fest, this music festival is another great concert to go to if you’re a fan of country music. The lineup includes Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Jake Owen, The Band Perry, Eli Young Band and many more country artists! This is a fun three-day festival where many attendees camp out together. It’s like a party all day and all night (probably not as great as our Gopher game days though). Love country music and good company? This is your jam, pun intended.

July 21-23, Eau Claire, Wis.

11. Soundset

This one-day hip-hop festival can be looked at as the official kick off of summer. Most college students are done with school around this time and high schoolers are just finishing the year. Some big names here include Atmosphere, A$AP Rocky and Future. This is always a fun day, and rain or shine, the show still goes on! This is the one to be at for hip-hop fans!

May 29, Minnesota State Fairgrounds (midway), St. Paul, Minn.

12. Birdy

Birdy’s a young talent at just 19 years old. Many fell in love with her voice after hearing her debut single, a cover of “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver (a Midwest native!), and she gained massive popularity after contributing three songs to the soundtrack for The Fault in Our Stars. She’s considered an indie folk singer, and is definitely an artist appealing to the younger generation. This should be a great concert, and it’s just a five-minute walk from campus!

June 18, Varsity Theater, Minneapolis, Minn.

13. Vans Warped Tour

This tour appeals to those interested in alternative, metal, pop punk, and rock music. According to Ticketmaster, it’s the largest traveling music festival in the United States, as well as the longest-running touring musical festival in North America! Some big artists this year are 3OH!3, American Authors, Mayday Parade, The Maine, The Summer Set and Waka Flocka Flame. At this festival you can find lots of “free hugs” signs and 20 lip stamps for just $1. It’s definitely a fun festival you don’t want to miss out on!

July 24, Canterbury Park, Shakopee, Minn.

This is just a little taste of the many concerts and festivals in the Midwest. There are endless concerts in the area, and a number of free, local concerts as well. Check out the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board to keep up to date with free concerts held nearly every day in parks throughout Minneapolis. Also, remember to keep checking on the Minneapolis Aquatennial and Pizza Lucé Block Party, as their line ups should be released soon. Happy festivaling!

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!