Nicole Randall: The Sorority School Teacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Hometown: Newtown, Pa.

Age: 21

Major: Dual major in early childhood and special education

Class Year: Senior

Why did you choose Millersville? I chose Millersville for a few different reasons. I started looking because of their amazing reputation for the education program since I already knew I wanted to major in education. When I was visiting schools, Millersville stuck out to me because of its campus and environment. For a lack of a better term it had a very “homey” feel and I automatically felt welcome and comfortable. Lastly, I really wanted to stay close to home and Millersville is two hours from home which is close enough for me to visit if needed and come home for breaks but far enough away that I can still be independent and grow.

What is your favorite thing about your time at Millersville? Joining Greek life here for sure, but also the field experience I had last semester in an autistic support classroom. It helped me decide which aspect of special education I wanted to really focus on.

Why did you choose your major? This might sound a little bit cliché but I wanted the work that I did day in and day out to mean something. I also love being around kids so education let me have that outlet. I originally dual majored in special education just to make myself look more marketable, but as I studied special education more and gained more experience with individuals with disabilities, I fell in love with them and specifically want to pursue jobs in special education.

Are you involved in anything on campus? Alpha Sigma Alpha (AΣA) and Student Senate.

What positions have you held in AΣA and Student Senate? In Student Senate I’m the School of Education Representative and in AΣA I’m the Vice President of Membership Education. It’s my job to keep the chapter informed of information pertaining to the chapter like history, what we stand for, national information, etc. I’m also responsible for educating the new members about the chapter and transform them into successful members. It’s a teaching position essentially, which is why I was enticed to take it.

If someone were to join AΣA, what do you think is the best takeaway? That’s hard to answer because sorority life offers so much more than just sisterhood. It really depends what you’re looking to get out of it. When you graduate, you don’t just leave the sorority forever, there are alumni chapters that you can join and keep working with the organization. There is a common phrase used when talking about sororities and it is: “It’s not just four years, it’s for life.”I take away different things from the organization all the time. When I first was looking to join, I just wanted the sisterhood because that was all I knew. Once I got the sisterhood, I found that I gained so much more. I learned the importance of philanthropy and giving back, not just to our specific philanthropies, but just the knowledge of giving back in general. I also have taken away so much leadership development not only through holding positions, but also workshops that are offered from national headquarters. There is something offered every year called “Disrict Day” which is a day filled with a variety of leadership workshops that helps its members gain leadership in their personal lives. What I look to take away in the future is networking connections. Sorority life is a great way to develop occupational connections, and for a lot of our alumni, is how they got at least interviews if not job offers. But I think for me, the best thing I took away from the organization and still am taking away is personal growth. The purpose statement of Alpha Sigma Alpha is to “develop women of poise and purpose and foster close friendships between members.” AΣA has helped me grow in more than one aspect of my life. It helped me realize what I value and find important and challenges me to improve in the areas I’m not so strong in. I will continue to grow and learn about myself as long as I wear my letters, which is forever. Again, it’s what that specific person is looking to get out of the sorority.

How would you join AΣA? You can join AΣA by coming out to recruitment, held every semester. Informal recruitment is held in the fall and formal recruitment is held in the spring. The rules are different for formal and informal recruitment, but you basically go to the sorority’s events that you’re interested in. If you like them and they like you, you’re offered a bid which is essentially an invitation to join.

What’s your favorite memory of AΣA? I have a few favorites! I loved getting my bid, my big sister, and my little sister, but I think my absolute favorite memory was after getting back from study abroad. I was scared that my friends had all moved on or forgotten about me which sounds silly but when you’re gone that long, you start to think that way. But I came back to open arms and was welcomed back like I had never left which made me realize I had true bonds that would last after college.

What is your favorite thing to do on campus? We have something called sister lunch in AΣA where sisters all come to eat lunch together in The Galley from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. everyday. You can come whenever you want, whatever day you want, but it’s nice to have people to eat with and it’s a great way to see my sisters during the week amidst the chaos.

What do you plan to do after graduation? After graduation I want to move back home and try to get a teaching job in the district I went to, which is Council Rock located in lower Bucks County. I would like to eventually move to Massachusetts and get a job in a suburb outside of Boston and raise a family there.

What will you miss the most about Millersville? I think the thing I will miss the most is seeing the people that I have built amazing friendship with every day or almost every day.

Do you have a mantra you live by? If so, what is it? “The sky is darkest just before the dawn,” meaning there is always something better ahead of the hard times.

Jenna Moyer

Millersville

My name is Jenna Moyer, I'm 21 years old, and I am currently a junior at Millersville University where I'm an Early Childhood and Special Education major. I love kids and I have a 3 year old nephew, who also happens to be my godson! My favorite color is purple and lilies are my favorite flower. I am absolutely obsessed with the show Friends! I love going to concerts, even concerts where I have no idea who bands are, because that's how you get to know good music. My favorite band is Parachute. I love my friends, boyfriend, and family, and I would have no idea what I would do without them!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3