Lengthy Labyrinth: Cherry Crest Corn Maze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you’re from the Lancaster area (or close to it), you may remember going here as a child for a field trip in elementary school. Maybe you even paired it up with the Strasburg Railroad for a double feature.  I sure do remember coming here countless times between field trips, birthday parties and Girl Scout outings, spending hours lost in the hedges, getting frustrated with every dead end. Yep, you called it… for this weekend’s adventure, I’m featuring Lancaster County’s very own corn maze at the Cherry Crest Farm.

The farm began its unique method of corn harvesting in 1996, cutting and folding over cornstalks in order to shape a corn maze for the following year. Five acres in area and two and a half miles in path length, the design of the maze exclusively differs every year and has been featured in many articles and magazine such as Sports Illustrated for Kids and TIME Magazine. This year happens to be “Once Upon a Time,” the maze shaped like a fairytale castle and storybook.

The last time I actually attended this maze was in 2000 (The theme was “Lost in Space” and it took me hours to navigate around the winding planets and solar system), but I know not much has changed as far as the excitement factor goes. In fact, they even extended their weekend hours since then, commonly known as the “flashlight maze.” This takes place Friday and Saturday nights at 6:30 p.m. when guests bring flashlights to make the maze a bit more challenging.

The average maze time is about one and a half hours during the day, but closer to two hours after dark. The maze is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (last entrance at 3:30 p.m.) every Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (last entrance at 8:30 p.m.) on Friday and Saturday nights through the first week in November. After that, the maze is closed for the season until early spring. Come out and attempt to master the giant corn maze for only $10 per person. It’s super easy to get to from school, as it’s only about 25 minutes down PA-741 E. Any more questions? Hop on www.cherrycrestfarm.com or call (717)-687-6843 for more information. I know a handful of my friends and I are attempting to navigate the famous labyrinth this coming weekend – maybe we’ll see you there!

Sources:
www.cherrycrestfarm.com

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.