Christmas Shopping on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Being in college is hard, especially on our pockets. With classes, finals and the ever-so-creepy guy next door, college is the difficult first cousin of high school. Since the holidays are approaching, we all want to get the best for our loved ones. Unfortunately, the best can be expensive. But, there are ways to shop effectively for the holidays and still have a few extra dollars for yourself this holiday season. I’m giving four simple ways to make sure that you fulfill your holiday list and keep your sanity.

1) NEVER GO OVER BUDGET!

The first rule of shopping in generel is to have a budget that you can spend on one or even several gifts. Never go over your budget, because then you are buying things you cannot afford. No one wants to break the bank but everyone wants to get that one special gift. Just remember one thing, if you are questioning your budget the gift is probably not worth it.

2) Be smart when shopping for electronics

Electronics like iPads, Beats headphones, TV’s and digital cameras are always the first to fly off the shelves. If you are shopping for someone who wants one of these products, there is one rule you have to go by and that is price. If it’s not on sale or not in your budget, wait until their birthday or another special occasion. Like I said before, you do not have to break the bank to get a special someone something special.

3) Gift Cards

Sometimes a gift card is all you need. Millions of stores and websites offer giftcards, and Visa offers gift cards where you can set the amount you give the recepiant. If you don’t have much time to get an actual gift, let the person you’re shopping for get the gift themselves. That way you give them something and they get what they want.

4) DIY if you can

Sometimes it’s really just the thought that counts. Anything can be made into a gift. Going to a craft store and creating a gift is one of the biggest ways to save money this holiday season. If it comes from the heart, then you should get no complaints.

Obviously there are many other ways to save money, but these are the most basic and probably the most important. Never go over budget, be wise with electronics, gift cards are everybody’s best friend, and invest in some DIY. You can never go wrong with a gift (but save your receipt  just in case).

Kasandra Mackay

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3