5 Ways to Stay on Top of Politics (Without Boring Yourself to Death)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

We all know the election’s coming. It’s been looming in the distance for almost a year, and still it creeps closer, more frightening perhaps than any horror films we may be binging during this Halloween season. We receive constant reminders that we should be staying on top of this. We are stopped (quite frequently) on campus as people ask us for the sixth time whether or not we are registered to vote on campus. We see funny yet important videos made by celebrities and independent citizens urging us to vote. But for many of us, this is our first national election, and it’s a lot to take in. After all, this isn’t just about the presidency, but also about control over the house and senate. It’s a contentious year with a lot at stake and a plethora of issues swirling around. It’s all too much! Not to mention, binging your favorite show on Netflix or hanging out with friends is sooooo much more interesting. Who can understand all that political talk anyways? Fear not! You can be an informed citizen while also not being a bored one! Here are some of my favorite places to get information on important issues

#1 Talk Shows

Talk shows that discuss politics are some of the most entertaining ways to stay on top of politics, if not the most bipartisan. My personal favorite is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. If you like memes, witty jokes, clever one liners, and uncensored intelligent Brits, then this show is for you. Every Sunday at 11pm, John Oliver takes to the air on HBO to discuss one topic for about 20 minutes. Anything from private schools, to transgender rights, to Brexit, and, of course, the election gets covered, and all with a lens of humor. It’s very similar to the Daily Show, most likely because Oliver worked for its former host, John Stewart, for a number of seasons. What makes the show even better (besides the side splitting, uncensored jokes) are the actions of Oliver himself. He has formed his own Church (Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption) to bring to light the issue of churches’ tax exemption, and even bought up $15 million worth of health care debt and forgave it all. All around, it’s a wonderful way to both support actions to better the country and to become an informed citizen. If you can’t tune in on Sundays, he also runs a YouTube channel where episodes are posted after being aired. Other shows that are just as funny and intelligent include The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.

#2 Watch a Debate

After attending the public streaming of the first presidential debate held in the SMC, I can say that watching a political debate is a lot more interesting and fun than you would anticipate. Yes, they can be frustrating to listen to, but if you find people to watch it with, or go to a public event, you add energy and comradery to the entire experience. I personally had meaningful political discussions with people I had never met before, and that alone made the experience worth it. I would also recommend keeping a live fact checker open during the debate. Not only will you be able to look more objectively at the content, but some of them, such as the one found on WIRED, can also be extremely entertaining, cracking jokes alongside the facts aimed at both candidates. Overall, debates are a great way to keep up on the important topics while sacrificing no entertainment value.

#3 Join an Organization

I know, this one’s a lot of work, but joining an org on campus (or even off campus) that is involved in politics can be both enlightening and fun. Of course there are the obvious picks for staying on top of politics: College Democrats and College Republicans, but there are others as well. Amnesty International deals in global issues and activism, Allies/GSA deals with LBGT+ issues, MESO (Middle Eastern Studies Organization) is deeply involved with political issues surrounding the Middle East, the MU Chapter of the NAACP fights for the rights of people of color, and in Her Campus (wink wink) you have the opportunity to write about what ever matters to you, including politics. Of course many other clubs are available as well with linkages to politics. Any organization on or off campus opens you up to opportunities for discussion and education to better your understanding of the political world.

#4 Download an App

There are plenty of apps out there that will provide you with the latest in politics. Politifacts runs a fact checking app that allows you to look at how honest political figures are. Brigade is more of a polling app that allows you to voice your opinion on issues, and then shows you how you compare with others. It can also get you involved with grassroots organizations (and it’s free!). Believe it or not, Snapchat is also a great place to hear about political news. It links you to stories created by CNN and the Daily Mail, which cover a whole host of different topics, from tabloids to politics.

#5 Talk to People!

People are terrifying, I understand this. Especially people talking about politics. But it’s important to engage in conversation with people about these topics. Start with people you’re comfortable with, friends, family maybe. Then move to places where you may find more conflict, such as in classmates or even professors. Engaging others in political discussion can be exciting, and mutually educational. Either one of you could make a point that changes a political view forever.

So, if you’re still overwhelmed by the political climate out there, don’t blame yourself. It’s a crazy world, but give some of these a shot to help you become a more informed citizen. Whether you listen to a talk show host ramble on while you cozy up inside and give your nails an Essie shine or you become an active participant in a politically outspoken org, any attempt at political participation not only helps you, but helps our country as a whole. And just remember:

I'm currently a junior at Millersville University with a major in International Studies and German and a minor in Government and Political Affairs. Outside of Her Campus I am invovled with Student Government, Society for International Human Rights, and German Club. When I somehow miraculously have free time I usually spend it being a total geek: gaming, watching youtube, watching netflix, you get the gist. Besides all that I also enjoy being creative in a variety of mediums as well as ice skating. I'm looking forward to the next few years at MU and I can't wait to see where it will all take me!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3