Signs You’re Having An Existential Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

What is an existential crisis? Well, friends, I can only describe it as the crushing weight of being a human being. It’s having a preoccupation with life and death and how to process the road blocks in life. Lots of people experience this but it’s still looked down upon because we gotta be positive all the time. Well… here are some signs that you’re having an existential crisis. 

1. You can’t watch the same sad movies anymore. 

Anything you used to watch before, you simply CANNOT handle. You become a new level of a hot mess. I mean not only do you cry, but now you’re thinking about how life will inevitably tear you apart, just like that movie. 

2. You’re terrified of the future.

For you, the future is like a giant death trap. It’s filled with booby traps, heartbreaks and 1,000 ways things could go completely wrong. But you put on a brave face. You go to class, live out each day, you look around you, and people don’t seem to be freaking out. Meanwhile, you’re internally screaming, trying to figure out what the hell to do with your time. 

3. You still don’t make every day count. 

You simply have not got the hang of doing new things that could add more joy into your life. You still procrastinate, you still take some things for granted, you still stay curled up in your comfort zone. Except this time, you do all the same things while anxious as hell. You hate hearing ‘You only live once’ because you don’t know what to do with your life. Should you do something risky? But what about your future? And the future itself terrifies you. The tactic you’ve become good at is acting fine around your friends most times and going home disappointed in your choices. 

4.  You get very emotional and affectionate. 

It doesn’t matter where you’re at. It could be in a public place or at home hanging out with your best friend. They could be talking to you or maybe they did something small but sweet thing for you. Normally, you’d respond with a thank you. No friend, not this time. You get completely hysterical and tell them how AMAZING they are and how you never want to be without them. You catch them completely off guard with your random tears and they’re left wondering if you’re okay. That doesn’t matter to you, you just want to list the reasons why you love them. 

5. You treasure the beautiful moments. 

This may be the only good thing about having an existential crisis. You could be having a fun moment with family or friends or simply in a beautiful scenery. This moment is bittersweet because you know how temporary it is and how fast time passes. But a part of you feels happier than you ever have because you’re still glad you have what you have. You’re still grateful, but it comes with a bit of sadness. 

FINALLY

Existential crisises can teach us alot. They can teach us to change our perspectives about how life has to be predictable and perfect all the time. The end goal  is to enjoy life, accept what comes and try to do some good in this world. Whatever crisis you’re going through, even if it’s not huge, it should be addressed so that you can take care of yourself in the right way. 

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.