This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Meet Jessie Woods. He’s 20 years old and a junior at UM. He’s double majoring in computer science and English with a literature concentration. He is from ElkGrove, CA and is heavily involved on campus. A few of the organizations he’s a part of are Brothers Overcoming Negativity, the National Pan-Hellenic Council (he’s the president), Kappa Alpha Si Fraternity (he’s vice president ) and an InspireU youth mentor. He also works at the library for workstudy. His favorite food is mac n’ cheese. His hobbies include building hardware, playing basketball and reading. 

What is your favorite T.V. Show?

“‘Game of Thrones’ or ‘Mr. Robot’.”

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

“I want to be working with data security and cryptography, preferably with artificial intelligence. I wouldn’t name a company because of how much the market fluctuates.”

Who is your role model?

“My role model is my dad. He studied computer science. He’s not the whole reason I’m studying computer science, but he’s pushed me into it.”

What would you do during a zombie apocalypse?

“I’m a third degree black belt so I’m definitely prepared. I’d also try to figure out how to cure the virus. Maybe code something. Hopefully technical advancement would allow that.”

What cause are you passionate about?

“Currently, I’m passionate about encouraging people into STEM. I know people that come here, they’re pushed into other types of majors because they don’t want to deal with the stress or work that comes with STEM. So when I mentor, I definitely encourage students to try to get into STEM. Once you get past the math, I think it’s very enjoyable.”

What campus resources do you think should be more readily available?

“A lot of the engineering resources are available to students but not that many students know about it. So I think the department could do a better job at making it more known.”

What experience do you think has really shaped who you are today?

“I think being involved in a lot of different student organizations has shaped me. I’ve learned from a lot of different faculty and students who’ve graduated. I’ve gotten to see the university through different perspectives.”

What countries would you like to visit?

“I’ve traveled through most of Europe. I definitely want to go to Japan. Their culture is different than I’m used to. And massive video games and electronics is influenced by Japan so going there would be really cool.”

What would your friends describe you as?

“Sarcastic, outgoing and that I’m a pretty caring person.” 

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.