The Importance of Female Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

In the midst of young adulthood, us girls become obsessed with boys all too often.  We are faced with the temptation to cancel a night in with our girlfriends in favor of going out on a date with our newfound hottie.  Sometimes we hook up with guys knowing it will make our girlfriends upset.  Unfortunately, some girls throw other ladies under the bus in order to achieve success in their romantic relationships.

Girls, that needs to stop.

Now, don’t get me wrong, this is not a tirade focused on bashing guys, guys are great.  We love our guy friends as well as our romantic counterparts – we always have fun with them and they provide differing views and opinions.  I’m not saying we should dislike guys, but instead, we should learn to love the females in our life more. We should not waste energy hating boys who have treated us poorly when we can refocus that energy to lift other women up instead.

When pursuing romantic relationships, the odds of potential heartbreak are high. This is the time in our lives when we’re starting to consider our futures. Oftentimes that includes making big decisions, especially regarding relationships.  The boyfriend that you hang out with everyday might not always be there for you. No matter what it is, whether it is a break-up or just an off-day, you want your girls to have your back.

However, friendships are a two-way street. Your girlfriends won’t be there for you if you aren’t loyal to them. Being in a true friendship isn’t about just falling back on your friends in hard times. Even if you are in a happy and healthy relationship, it’s important to continue to make time for your girls. Romantic dinner dates with your boyfriend are just as important as nail salon dates with your bestie. Don’t let them fall by the wayside.

Yes, boys are great. They’re funny, exciting, and of course, aesthetically pleasing.  But at the end of the day, the people who should be top priority to you are your girls. Your girlfriends will binge-eat Ben and Jerry’s with you when you’re crying over your ex, tell you he’s an asshole when you need to hear it and they’ll never fail to watch reality TV and cuddle with you when you need a chill night-in.  Girls need other girls; we’re the only ones who can understand us. 

A Theatre and English double major at the University of Miami. Hopes to one day be Tina Fey.