I Went to the Beyoncé Concert and Survived the Fabulousness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

As most of us know, last Wednesday, April 27, Beyoncé kicked off her Formation World Tour here at Marlin’s Park, and for me, it was an experience I will never forget. The night began with my best friend and I making our way into our nose-bleed seats, because yes we are poor college students but we also love Queen Bey enough to buy tickets. Although our seats were about as far as you can get from the main stage, you could still see everything pretty well, and the giant screen helped a lot.

We got to our seats just in time to see DJ Khaled kick off the tour. I honestly didn’t know much about the celebrity other than his major keys to success and his occasional work out regime but it was cool to see that someone relevant opened up for Beyoncé. But what could DJ Khaled do for an opener? Just DJ? Well I guess he thought the same thing because as he was spinning, he started to bring out all these rappers! Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Trick Daddy, and 2 Chainz were just some of the amazing artists that got to sing a bit of their songs on Bey’s stage. DJ Khaled’s set lasted about an hour and then it was time to wait for the Queen to make her entrance.

At around 8:45 the lights began to dim. The crowd began to scream, they were chanting her name, waiting for their Queen Bey to present herself. And in true Beyoncé fashion, it was fabulous. She started with Formation and ended with Halo, but everything in between was nothing short of amazing. I have been to quite a few concerts with a variety of performers, and I can honestly say none of them were as physically demanding as the Formation Tour. Not only did Beyoncé bust out some amazing vocals, she also danced her butt off.

The highlight of the night was by far the end of her performance. It was a mixture of Freedom, Crazy in Love, Halo, Survivor, and End of Time, all preformed on the lower stage, and began with the Queen and her dancers strutting down the catwalk. They were all barefoot and creepily, the same height. Then they entered a shallow body of water at the lower stage and began to perform. Water was going everywhere, splashing and singing and dancing. It was literally amazingly chaotic in the best possible way.

Overall, the concert was amazing, and I’m so glad my best friend forced me into going. Beyoncé is an amazing performer and is able to do things that I think define the basic laws of science. If anyone has ever been a Beyoncé fan in the last 19 years of her fame, I highly recommend seeing her in concert. She sang songs from every album, ranging Survivor to Single Ladies to Partition to Halo to Formation; songs that I personally grew up with. It was an incredible mix of the old and the new, leading me to honestly think she may be a black Bill Gates in the making. Swag.