Homecoming Celebs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Over the course of Homecoming weekend, the University of Miami brought back two notable athletic alumni and honored each of them in a special way. Reggie Wayne was featured as the grand marshal of the Homecoming parade while Clinton Portis was honored at the game against Virginia yesterday. Each went on to find success in their professional careers after their time at Miami.

Reggie Wayne
Wayne was born on November 17, 1978 in Louisiana. Before playing football at the U, he was more interested in baseball. During his time in Miami, he was a four-year starter, set multiple records for the university and also ran track and field. He was then drafted to the Indianapolis Colts during the 1st round, 30th overall pick of the 2001 NFL Draft. He played with the Colts from 2001 until 2014. During the current season, he is on the practice squad for the New England Patriots. A few of his career highlights include winning Super Bowl XLI, 6 Pro Bowl appearances, Hurricanes career receptions record, and being inducted into the University of Miami Hall of Fame in 2011.

Clinton Portis
Portis was born on September 1, 1981i in Mississippi. During his time at Miami, he set multiple records for the football progam and was essential in the Hurricanes win over Nebraska in the 2001 Rose Bowl. During that year, he has his best season rushing for 1,200 yards, 10 touchdowns and 220 carries. He also ran track while at Miami. Portis was then drafted by the Denver Bronccos during the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He is most known for his time with the Washington Redskins from 2004 until 2010. His career highlights include two Pro Bowl apperences as well as NCAA National Champion. There is also a wing in the Hecht Athletic Center named after him.

Image creidt: cover12

DMV born and raised (and I do NOT mean the department of motor vehicles!). I'm a sarcasm afficiando and future owner of the Baltimore Ravens. Or the world. I'm always interested in government, politics, business, and sports. Entrepreneurship major, sports administration minor, graduating in 2018.