absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Fusion Eats in Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

For many of us, the hardest part about going out to eat is deciding where to eat. Narrowing it down to a specific cuisine sometimes helps speed up the decision process, but what if you’re feeling a bit more adventurous and are craving something more unique?

That’s where fusion food comes in! Fusion restaurants are rapidly growing in popularity in the due to the increasing cultural diversity and influences. Combining elements of two or more cultures’ cuisines together, fusion foods will tantalize your taste buds, and it’s exactly the unexpectedly delicious combinations that make them work.

Here in Miami, we have more than our fair share of delicious Cuban restaurants and Latin cuisine, but we also offer a number of delicious fusion cuisine restaurants and food trucks.

My Ceviche
Though ceviche is a Peruvian classic, My Ceviche is a budget-friendly joint that features a few Southeastern and Eastern Asian-style ceviche dishes. These dishes include ingredients like jasmine-coconut rice, lime, soy, seaweed and coconut milk.

Dim Ssäm à gogo (Food Truck)
This food truck’s menu items combine Korean cuisine with elements of American, Mexican and French cuisines. Food trucks are a great option for those who are seeking convenience and are on a tight budget! Try out the Kalbi taco, which features nontraditional taco ingredients like Korean-style short rib meat or the Korean pulled pork slider.

Cardon y el Tirano
Cardon y el Tirano boasts beautiful, artful presentations and features delicious menu items that have influences from Mexico, the Caribbean, Venezuela and Peru, among other places. The Arepitas Duo is a fan favorite, combining flavors and ingredients from all over Latin America.

Eating House
Although Eating House is considered New American cuisine, many menu items have a distinct Asian flair, such as the Asian-inspired Brussels sprouts and the heirloom tomatoes with Nuoc Cham, a Vietnamese dipping sauce, peanuts and coconut ice.

Ikura Sushi Lounge
While Ikura Sushi’s menu offers many traditional sushi rolls, it also offers unique Latin-Japanese fusion rolls such as a meat lovers’ sushi roll with churrasco steak, plantains and avocado, and topped with chimichurri sauce.

The Gang Miami
Located in Wynwood, The Gang Miami has a distinct Asian fusion menu with dishes such as Green Tea Crab Rangoon and Asian Honey Duck Leg, served alongside mashed potatoes topped with truffle, asparagus, broccoli, and honey sauce. The Gang Miami also has creative cocktails such as the Bangkok Sling, featuring spiced rum, fresh berries and cherry liqueur, and the Jalisco, made with passion fruit, tequila and chili pepper.

Caffe Vialetto
Caffe Vialetto marries Italian cuisine with a bit of Latin-American zing. Sample dishes such as Ahi Tuna Toston, featuring blackened seared sashimi tuna served with a julienne parmesan, cucumber, shoestring potatoes salad in a spicy truffle vinaigrette on top of a toston, and Short Rib Croquetas, featuring potatoes, truffle and short rib served with a black bean puree.

Next time you’re picking a place to eat in Miami, don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try fusion foods – who knows, you might find a new favorite restaurant!

Image credit: cover, 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7