Sorority Recruitment: A Different Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Meet Annie Hause, a senior Psychology and Family Studies double major from St. Paul, MN. As a senior, Annie volunteered to be a Rho Gamma for Miami University’s Sorority recruitment. Annie has been a dedicated member of the Greek community at Miami University since her freshman year here and was able to meet with us to discuss some of her experiences at Miami, in the Greek community and what it meant to be a Rho Gamma.

Describe your Miami Experience.

I came here not knowing anyone and have found my true home away from home. I have met some of my best friends and future bridesmaids and created lifelong memories. I have grown as a leader, scholar, and young woman. I have been afforded the opportunity to chase my dreams, accomplish my goals, and set myself up for a successful future. My four years at Miami have been unrivaled by any other experience.

What made you decide to go Greek at Miami?

I decided to go Greek because I wanted to be a part of a community known for its prestige, philanthropy, and leadership. My family and close friends mean the world to me, so I wanted to find a family here in Oxford.

Describe your personal experience going through recruitment as a Potential New Member (PNM).

I was definitely scared and pretty awkward. I really enjoyed getting to know the other women in my group. I’m still good friends with them, regardless of which chapter we ended up in. My Rho Gammas supported me in all of the ways I needed. They kept me grounded, gave me honest advice, and helped me find my home in the Panhellenic community.

Sorority: Gamma Phi Beta

Describe your role in your sorority (any exec positions, how involved you are, etc.).

Upon joining Gamma Phi, I became the Suite Co-Chairwoman. My duties included redecorating and overseeing the upkeep of our suite and discussing budgets and changes for the future. I also represented my pledge class as Corridor Representative during my sophomore year when I lived in the corridor in Minnich Hall. Along with representatives from every other chapter, I helped create a safe and enjoyable living space in the Sorority LLC. I was then elected to the Executive Council as Public Relations Vice President. I oversaw a department of 10 subcommittees, promoted and monitored social media for the chapter, and worked along 6 other council officers to ensure the general welfare of the chapter.

What is a Rho Gamma? What do they do?

A Rho Gamma is a representative of the Greek community and Panhellenic Association. They guide PNMs through the recruitment process by leading them through Welcome Round, counseling, and, ultimately, helping PNMs find their home in one of our 17 chapters.

What made you decide to be a Rho Gamma instead of participating in traditional recruitment?

I decided to be a Rho Gamma because my Rho Gammas were incredibly influential when I was a PNM. I would not have been able to navigate the recruitment process and find the right chapter for me without their help. I wanted to provide this experience for this generation of PNMs.

How was the Rho Gamma experience different from your other recruitment experiences?

It was different from being on my chapter’s side of recruitment, because I was representing something much larger than my individual chapter. I was advocating for the entire Greek community and Panhellenic Association. This role really allowed me to dive into a mentor/leadership position and provide support for upcoming members of my fellow community.

What was the biggest challenge you faced as a Rho Gamma?

The biggest challenge I faced as a Rho Gamma was reassuring PNMs that everything would be okay. It is one thing for someone to tell you it’s okay, but it’s entirely another to see that through. I tried to be as available and comforting as possible, because I feel like that is in my nature. But the recruitment process is different for everyone; so I feel as if I sometimes struggled to meet the various needs of all my PNMs.

What are 3 things you would recommend to PNM’s going through recruitment for the first time?

1. Trust the process – I heard this so many times as a PNM and thought it was a hoax. It truly is a mutual selection process. I am a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason” and this is the truest testament to that saying.
  2. Take care of yourself – This process is emotionally and physically draining. It is so important for PNMs to take time for self-care – stay rested, hydrated, and nourished.
  3. Be selfish – This process is about you. You are trying to find your home. Ultimately this decision is not your friend’s or your roommate’s or your mom’s or your sister’s; it is yours.

What do you like most about Miami Sorority Recruitment process?

I like how all-inclusive it is. PNMs get the opportunity to see so many different versions of the five pillars of the Greek community – scholarship & learning, brotherhood & sisterhood, service & philanthropy, community, and leadership & values. Each chapter has its own take on these pillars and is able to present them during their time in recruitment.

What do you like the least about Miami Sorority Recruitment?

I do not like how the process is spread out over two weekends. I wish it was just one week full-out. Obviously this is not necessarily feasible with classes. However, in a perfect world I think this would eliminate the prolonged aspect of the process. As a PNM, that week in between really killed me, because I had to shift my focus from recruitment to schoolwork back to recruitment plus I got sick and felt overwhelmed trying to get better for the second weekend. However, in the end, this simply set up me for what it is like to be a member of a Greek organization and the balance of academics and my chapter.

How can recruitment be improved for future PNM’s and sororities alike?

I think organization and communication are two facets of recruitment that can always be improved. The smoother the transition and scheduling is for both PNMs and chapters, the easier the process is as a whole.

Miami University’s Greek community has been under a lot of scrutiny lately. What do you think is the biggest problem within the community and how can it be fixed/improved?

I think the biggest problem within the community is individual ownership and collaboration. As with any other community-wide issue, it is easy to place the blame on someone else. Individual responsibility for each chapter is key, in my opinion. I think the State of the Community address at the beginning of the semester was a great start. It really showed the collaboration and unity of the Greek community as a whole. I would like to see collaboration between individual chapters to promote the successes of Greek life – such as philanthropy events, workshops, sisterhood events, etc.

Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus