PanHel President: Amy Kiminas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Even with finals week coming up, the PanHel President, Ms. Amy Kiminas, was able to speeak with us this week about her experiences so far!

HC: When did you find out you were PH (Pan Hel) president?
AK: I found out that I want Panhellenic President the first week of November and started my term during formal recruitment this past winter.

HC: Why did you run for PH president?
AK: I ran for Panhellenic President because of my passion for the Fraternity and Sorority Community. Being in a sorority has defined my college experience, and I want to uphold an environment where other woman can have a similar positive experience.

HC: What is your past invovlement with Greek Life at Miami?
AK: Yes! I am a member of Chi Omega. Last year I was on the executive board as the Panhellenic Delegate. This year I only work on the Panhellenic Council.

HC: What are some of your plans or ideas for your upcoming presidency?
AK: My overall plan is to increase transparency between individual chapters, Panhellenic Council and chapters, and the tri-council. So far we have reevaluated risk management policies, recruitment, and new member education programs. The entire Panhellenic Council Executive Board wants Miami to continue being a model Greek Community.

HC: What are some of the duties you have as president?
AK: As president, I oversee all operations of the Panhellenic Association. I preside tri-council meetings and executive board meetings as well as sit on the Student Affairs Council. I am also a resource and contact point for all sorority chapter presidents.

HC: What do you think of the reputation of Greek Life at Miami?
AK: Overall, Greek life has a positive reputation at Miami. Many of the values and accomplishments within the Fraternity and Sorority Community are not recognized or published. Most people know only of rare occurrences or a negative incident that typically involves one or two chapter members, and is not a reflection of the entire community.

HC: What’s the one think about Greek life you wish to change?
AK: If I could change one thing about Greek life, it would be the negative PR and perceptions of the Sorority and Fraternity Community. Our organizations are not perfect, and are always striving for continual improvement, but some of the values based accomplishments are never publicized.

HC: What other goals do you have before you graduate from Miami?
AK: Before I graduate, I want to complete academic research that I started this year. I also hope to graduate with a full-time job. By the end of my term as Panhellenic President, I hope to leave the community a better place than when I started.

HC: Are you involved in any other activities?
AK: I am also a member of Pi Sigma Epsilon, a sales and marketing business fraternity on campus, the honors program, the business honors program, and undergraduate research. 

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.