Is MySpace Making a Comeback?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Get ready for a blast from the past, collegiettes! MySpace (Yes, you heard that right!) is planning to make a comeback.

MySpace released their teaser video in September to announce the makeover.  The video features Justin Timberlake (our hearts skipped a beat too), one of the forces behind the site’s revamp. But this isn’t Mr. Timberlake’s first dabble in the MySpace scene. JT played Sean Parker, co-founder of Napster, in 2010’s “The Social Network” and then, in June 2011, bought MySpace for $35 million along with other investors.

Plans for the “new MySpace” focus on music and entertainment, and from the looks of the video there will be a photo sharing option too!  It is rumored that users will be able to link their Twitter and Facebook accounts on the site, alluding to a future elimination of any possible social networking competition. 

The song playing in the background of the promo video is “Heartbeat” by JJAMZ. The lyrics say, “Maybe I’m ashamed to want you back. Maybe I’m afraid, you’ll never stay.

A release date for the spankin’ new MySpace has not been announced yet, but only time will tell if it’s here to stay.

Melissa Krueger is a Junior at Miami University. She is a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.