7 Books that Need to be on your Spring Break Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

1.     A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

This is the first book in a new trilogy about two teenagers who are decedents of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.  The two teenagers know how their great-great-great-grandfathers were crime-solving partners, but Charlotte Holmes has no interest in befriending Jamie Watson. That is until a student goes missing, and they team up to try to solve it. This book a page-turner and luckily, if you love the first, you have two more to look forward to.

2.     Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling is the creator and star of show The Mindy Project and was a writer and starred in The Office. Why Not Me? is Mindy’s second book, and it is a personal and hilarious look into her life now and how she got there. This book is great for a light read and a good laugh. Also, Mindy reads the audio version of this book making it even funnier when she reads it.

3.     All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

This book tells the story of a strange reoccurrence of teenage girls going missing told from the point of a teenager living it. Miranda created an incredibly intense and page turning story. If you are looking for the next Gone Girl or Girl on the Train this is the book for you.

4.     Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

If you are a Harry Potter fan, then read this book immediately (if you haven’t already). J.K. Rowling has brought us back to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and this time Harry and Co. are grown up with kids. This story is told through Harry’s son, Albus, and his struggle to live up to his family legacy.

5.     Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

Trevor Noah is a comedian and the host of The Daily Show. In this book Trevor talks about his childhood being mixed during apartheid in South Africa. The stories are so inspiring and beautiful. Trevor also adds light humor throughout. This book is a must read.

6.     Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman

Robin Wasserman writes about the female teenage experience almost spot on in this book. She doesn’t make it a one-dimensional story of teenage-hood, but a multi faceted story with everything that comes in this confusing period of our lives. She digs deep into the strong bonds girl friendships can become.

7.     The Nix by Nathan Hill

A college professor meets his mom after decades and learns that she’s a criminal hippie on the run. This novel explores themes of love, betrayal, politics, and pop culture so beautifully. This is definitely a captivating read.

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus