The Most Common Healthy Living Problems- and Solutions!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

We all hate to admit it, but there is no secret solution to losing weight and being healthy. Crazy diets and special tricks always backfire. More often than not, these strategies cause women to gain weight in the long run. The only thing you can do to live a fit life is to eat healthy and exercise. Feeling discouraged? Not to worry. Here is a list of 10 solutions to the most common healthy living problems for college women:

Problem: I’m in a hurry and need to grab something to eat fast. You woke up late and you’re in a hurry to get to that 11 AM class, but you know you’re going to be hungry. It’s a tempting option to run to The Den and grab a basket of mozzarella sticks or stop into Zest quickly to get a cinnamon bun. These calories add up fast.

Solution: Keep healthy, non-perishable snacks around your dorm that you can grab and go. Most of us don’t have the time in the morning to prepare oatmeal, or eat a bowl of cereal. If you keep healthy snacks on hand such as whole grain pretzels, granola and protein bars, string cheese, and trail mix stashed in your room, you’re going to be less likely to load up on calories because of time constraints. You’ll be saving money and Den points by eating out less, and since these snacks have a long shelf life, you know they won’t be going to waste. These will hold you over until you have time to sit down and eat a meal.

Problem: The dinner entrée tonight at Sparky’s is Salisbury Steak or Baked Ziti and there’s a cupcake bar for dessert. It’s tempting to gorge on the dinner entrée your eyes see first. The (usually unhealthy) dinner entrée is displayed front and center at Sparky’s.

Solution: Select a healthier option, they are offered every night! Sparky’s has a decent salad bar, but that can get a little boring seven nights of the week. Other healthy options include the deli station and some of the grill items. There are ways to avoid the not-so-healthy entrée options that are usually offered. There’s also not always a need to eat a full meal if you’re not proportionally hungry. A smaller option like a bowl of cereal will help cut calories and may fill you up.

Problem: That was an awesome party… let’s order Domino’s! I think we all know that the Andover Domino’s basically makes it’s living off of delivering to drunk Merrimack students on Friday and Saturday nights. Late night calorie consumptions are dangerous, and when frequent can completely derail sober healthy eating efforts.

Solution: Eat a hearty meal before going out for the night, and then snack on what you have in your dorm. If you’re full at the start of the night, you’re much less likely to give into temptations later. If you do get hungry, snack on popcorn, pretzels, or string cheese instead. Your craving for something salty will be satisfied and you will have saved yourself the up to 600 calories 2 slices of pizza!

Problem: I want to go to the gym, but I feel self-conscious working out in the gym on campus. Maybe you don’t want to go to the gym in front of other college students and get all gross and sweaty. Maybe you’re not as familiar with gym equipment as you think you need to be and are worried you will embarrass yourself. The open style of Merrimack’s gym may make you uncomfortable for one reason or another.

Solution: Choose less heavy-traffic times to go to the gym, or seek out another option in the community. The gym in the Sakowich Center gets crowded starting around 4 or 5 P.M., but there is a lull between 9 A.M. and 2 P.M., during which the gym is pretty empty. If you have a mid-day break from classes, you can take advantage of this quiet time at the gym. If that doesn’t work for you, there are many gyms in the Andover area that offer student discounts and low rates, such as Planet Fitness, Cedardale Health and Fitness, Workout World, and Choice Fitness. If you have a car on campus, these gyms may be a good option for you.

Problem: I know working out is important, but I seriously don’t have time. You start class at 8 or 9 in the morning, then you go to your internship, then you have a sorority meeting before you meet to work on a group project. Then, around 9 P.M., you start studying for that history exam tomorrow.

Solution: Break up your workout throughout the day. Instead of doing 40 straight minutes on the elliptical, do four ten minute exercise sessions throughout the day! Wake up just a little earlier and do squats and lunges in your dorm room for ten minutes set to your favorite songs. Before hitting the dining hall for lunch jog around the track for ten minutes, (it’s in the same building!). When you get home from work, do 10 or 12 reps of sit-ups and push-ups in your room. Instead of taking a Facebook or Twitter study break, do some jumping jacks, or take a dance break! It won’t feel as overwhelming or time consuming, but it will be as effective.

Problem: I want to exercise, but working out is SO boring. Climbing up on that elliptical or treadmill every day, then doing the same exercised with weights gets consistent and boring.

Solution: Explore other options! Check out the fitness classes offered in the gym. This idea intimidates many people, but you should know that all fitness classes are designed so that beginners can just jump in! At Merrimack, the classes offered to students are Yoga and Zumba. Did you know that in an hour of Zumba, you can burn up to 1000 calories!? There is a class offered at least once a day Monday-Thursday. Switching up your workout will keep you motivated to go back.

Problem: I gave up on working out because I didn’t make any progress. You worked out for a couple months and didn’t the numbers on the scale didn’t change. What’s the point in working out if it’s not working?

Solution 1: Remember that the number on the scale is not the most important measure of fitness. Body Mass Index and Body Fat Percentage are much more important indicators of weight loss, and there are relatively accurate calculators for both of these online. The most accurate measure, though, is one you can tell on your own. Are you feeling better about yourself? Does it seem like you are living a healthier lifestyle? Do your jeans fit a little better? If you answered yes to any of these questions then your workout is worth it, no matter what the scale says.

Solution 2: Make sure you are working out effectively. The most effective workout will include cardio and strength training. You will see results much more quickly if your daily workout includes both types of exercise. Additionally, diet plays a huge part in the effectiveness of a workout. If you are under eating, it will be impossible for your body to get rid of fat. But also make sure you’re not rewarding yourself for your workouts with a big bowl of chips or a package of chocolate chip cookies.

Problem: I have no self-control when it comes to food. I eat whatever is in front of me! Your roommate has a bag of Doritos in her drawer and it’s calling your name. You go over and steal one, then a handful, then a bowl full, then you just grab the whole bag and take it over to your desk, vowing to replace it tomorrow.

Solution: Only buy individual sized portions of snacks, and stick to your own food. Instead of buying the large bags of chips or Cheez-its or whatever your snack of choice may be, buy the individual bags of them. Many snacks are sold in a box of ten 100 calorie bags. When you’re stressed with studying and schoolwork, you may end up eating more than one at a time, but if you opt for the individual bags it will be easier to keep track of your calorie consumption. Plus, opening a new bag may be a helpful reminder to consider if you’re really hungry, or just stress eating.

Problem: I’ve been trying to eat healthy, but I don’t feel like it’s helping and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. You’re choosing healthy options in the dining hall and you don’t do much excessive snacking. Why doesn’t your body reflect your choices?

Solution: Keep a food (and drink) diary and make sure you’re paying attention to portions. If you write down everything you eat it will be easier for you to see where your calories are being wasted, and don’t forget to count drinks. Beverages such as coffee, soda, and juice can really rack up your calorie count. Alcohol is especially high in calories- did you know there are 110 calories in a Bud Light and around 60 in a shot of vodka? In your food diary, try to record not only what you ate and drank, but also how much. The unlimited nature of dining halls makes it very difficult to consume normal portions. Just remember, you can always go back for more. Take a little bit at first, eat it, and if you’re still hungry go back for seconds, (or even better grab an apple or banana.)

Problem: I absolutely can NOT give up chocolate, (or cheese, or lattes, or ice cream.) You have a favorite food- a diet vice- that you simply can’t give up.

Solution: Portion Control! After a successful day of healthy eating and an effective workout, reward yourself before bed with a little piece of chocolate or scoop of ice cream. Start your day with a small caramel latte and vow to make healthy choices for the rest of the day. One small daily treat won’t ruin your efforts, and consuming your favorites in small amounts as opposed to banishing them from your diet will prevent you from binging later.