Just Smile and Wave: First Impressions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It’s the first day of class in college, and it probably feels a lot more terrifying than it actually is. There are so many new things and places you have had to take in; a new campus, a new place to live, new people to meet, and so much more! But now comes the moment of truth, the make-or-break for any student at any institution of learning: going to class for the first time. While college shares many aspects of this anticipated and/or dreaded day, there are a few things to keep in mind to both make the best possible impression and to start making new friends!

Now that you live on a college campus, an important thing to consider is that unlike high school, the people you meet in class will also be living with or near you! With that in mind, making friends with classmates is an essential first step towards establishing your social circle. So for the first week or so of classes, make a conscious effort to be as friendly and approachable as possible. Greet your neighbors when you take a seat and chat with them for a while! Get to know at least a few people by name; that way you have someone to get in touch with if you need help or want to study. Coming into class listening to music is all right, but make sure to take out your headphones: people are less likely to talk to you if you are listening to music all the time!

Next, how your professor perceives you will also make a big impact on your classes. Make sure for the first few weeks to arrive on time so that he or she can start to learn your face and name; most professors make sure to do this regardless, but there are a few who might not. Establishing that connection with your professors will help with any problems you might be having with the material and to further your career if you are taking a class needed for a degree. During class, if it is more discussion oriented, try to say a few things every period. This way, you establish that you can contribute, making you more reliable in the eyes of both your peers and professors. If it is a lecture class, ask questions to show your interest in the material and to show your professor your willingness to participate.

It might be tempting to just remain anonymous, especially if you are shy or quiet. Even if you are more introverted, saying at least one or two things in class will show to your classmates and professors that you have a voice. While you don’t have to make a display whenever you speak, try to make the few things you say really contribute to the discussion or lecture. That way, both students and professors will rely on you for few but important contributions to the class. Not saying anything at all in class is worse than only saying a few things!

There, you did it! The first day of class has been surpassed, and you’ve made a few friends along the way! College relies on your contributions as much as anyone else’s, so taking steps to meet people and establish yourself both with your peers and professors will help you tremendously in the years to come!