Celebrate Black History Month in Macon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It is the middle of Black History month and what can you do to celebrate or learn about African American history? Her Campus Mercer compiled some ideas for what Macon offers.

1. Tubman African American Museum
    Located on Walnut Street this museum offers a 55-foot long mural, “From Africa to America,” made by artist Wilfred Stroud. This centerpiece illustrates the history and contributions of African American in Macon and beyond including Martin Luther King Jr., Ellen Craft, and Harriet Tubman. You can also discover a Folk Art gallery in the museum containing impressive examples of different styles by notable African American artists using unusual mediums.
Hours: Tuesday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm; Saturday, 11 am – 5 pm.
Admission: Adults $8; Adult groups of 15 or more $6; Seniors $6; College Students & Military with ID $5; Children ages 3-17 $4; Children under 2 Free; Members Free

2. Douglass Theatre
    Enjoy live theatrical, musical, and film performances at the Douglass Theatre built in 1921 by black entrepreneur Charles Douglass. This theatre is the same place Otis Redding was discovered and it has hosted great artists such as Bessie Smith and Cab Calloway. You can kick back and enjoy these performances at the theatre located on Martin Luther King Blvd.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 5 pm (Saturday open for special events only)
Admission: Free

3. H & H Restaurant
    For a pleasant dining and shopping experience, visit this restaurant that has been open since the 1960’s now located on Forsyth Street. Mama Louise’s regulars would not dare to miss her collard greens, baked ham, black-eyed peas, and fried chicken. This restaurant has seen the musical history created down Cotton Avenue at Capricorn Records which brought the Allman Brothers Band and other big-name Southern musicians to national awareness.
Hours: Monday – Saturday, 6:30 am – 4 pm

4. Georgia Sports Hall of Fame
    If you are a sports fanatic, you are in for a treat at this hall of fame and museum because it is the nation’s largest state sports museum. You are invited to experience of Georgia’s sports history with more than 14,000 square feet of high-energy exhibit space and a Hall of Fame corridor that honors the over 300 inductees. On February 22nd and 23rd there will be an induction ceremony at the Macon City Auditorium on 1st street.
Hours: Monday is for group tours with reservations only; Tuesday – Saturday, 9 am – 5 pm
Admission: Adults (17 & over) $8; Seniors, College, & Military with ID $6; Children (16 & under) $3.50

5. Washington Memorial Library
    If you like to learn about history through genealogical, bibliographical, and archival information then this library is the place for you. Located on 510 College Street the library offers an extensive African-American Heritage collection that is considered one of the best in the Southwest. The following information is for the genealogy and history room:
Hours: Monday, 9 am – 9 pm; Tuesday – Saturday, 9 am – 6 pm

Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!