Your ultimate Feminist reading guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

We’re closing in on Women’s History Month, and while midterms are coming up you may find yourself looking to relax with a nice book. Four of our writers got together to devise the ultimate feminist reading guide. These 21 awesome books will leave you teary eyed, inspired, and ready to take on the patriarchy. Some say diamonds are a girls best friend, we just want a good book and a cup of tea.

1.       Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte

This is one of Shannon’s favorites. The Bronte sisters paved the way for female writers. While many people (like Maggie and Harmony) see this book as an almost antifeminist romance, Shannon argues the character of  Rochester isn’t a romantic figure because he ends up handicapped and is morally corupt for locking his wife in an attic.

2.       Wide Sargasseo Sea- Jean Rhys

This tale flips the Jane Eyre story by taking Rochester’s “crazy” wife, Bertha’s perspective. The book works to destigmatizes women, mental illness, and race.

3.       The Awakening-Kate Chopin

A story about a woman who uses sex to escape the roles of mother and wifehood.

4.       The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

Beware colleigete, this is not a happy read, a young women faces the pressures of her future.

5.       Triffels (also known as a jury of her peers)- Susan Glaspell

A women takes on her abusive husband and a group of women work to solve a mysterious murder.

6.       Pride and Prejudice (or anything Jane Austen)

Jane Austen is one of the first female writers to depict a women’s world and give credence to women’s interests.  She also published her books under the same name, which was a risky move back in the day.

7.       Their eyes were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

Zora Neale Hurston writes a vivid portarait of a biracial women’s struggle for independence. 

8.       To the Lighthouse- Virgina Woolf

Girl wants to be painter, men in her life tell her no. She says F**k  you and defies them.

9.       Orlando- Virginia Woolf

This book experiments with gender in a way other books of the time didn’t. It highlights the power of femininity.

10.   Spinster- Kate Bolick

This book is all about why being single in your thirties  is good for women.  It highlights women in history who were badass spinsters to take back the term ‘spinster.’

11.   House of Mirth- Edith Wharton

Even though you may hate Ethan Frome, don’t let highschool English turn you off of Edith Wharton.  Wharton’s work highlights and satirizes female expectations from the gilded age and her characters defy those expectations.

12.   The Passion of Mary Magdalen- Elizabeth Cunningham

This bad ass book is  a chronicle of the Bible’s favorite whore. Mary Magdalene successfully writes her own gospel and flips the patriarchal, Christian narrative by shining light on female  diviness.

13.   A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray

A young adult read, this series highlights race, gender, sexuality and is a coming of age novel during the late 19th century.

14. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?- Mindy Kaling

Kaling brilliantly describes the world of a young woman trying to make it in her respective field. This book is hilarious.

15.   The Second Sex- Simone De Beauvoir 

This is a must have in your arsenal when you’re writing an essay about gender. Simone De Beauvoir perfectly highlights what it means to be a women.

16.   Bad Feminist- Roxane Gay

Roxane Gay investigates the nuances of third wave feminism.

17.   Yes please- Amy Poehler

Yes Please is about the awesome female comedian, Amy Poehler.

18.   Landline- Rainbow Rowell 

This book focuses on the struggle between having a family and successful career in male dominated field.

19.    A Hand Maidens Tail- Margaret Atwood

A distopian novel about a world where women don’t own their own bodies, sound familiar?

20.   Tiffany Aching-Terry Prachett

Males can be feminists too, Terry Prachett and Tom Robbins are prime examples of awesome male feminist writers. In this book a girl knows what she wants and goes out and gets it.

21.   Even Cow Girls get the Blues Tom Robbins

This book is all about a beautiful girl with unusually large thumbs who decides to travel the country hitchiking. Sissy Hankshaw and her (Spoiler) lover Bonanza Jellybean are rockin feminst ladies.

Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.
As an English and Arts Management major at MCLA, Maggie is a prominent figure both on campus and in her community. Throughout her time at MCLA she has been involved with numerous clubs, most noticeably the Shakespeare club Yorick, where she is Vice President and also director of their fall show, Antony and Cleopatra. Off campus Maggie has worked at The Mount as part of the Berkshire Hills Internship Program, and is also the intern for the Northern Berkshire Community Coalition's Teen Writing Workshop. Maggie is also one of the Campus Correspondents for MCLA's chapter of Her Campus!
Kate Rowell is an avid embroiderer, political activist, and lover of all things 30 Rock. She is the VP of her college's chapter of Students for a Democratic Society, and a junior at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. She's also the vocalist in a string-band, The Motherfolkers, which has a super rad page on Facebook.