Celebrate singlehood with Single Awareness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

With the looming of the dreaded day of so called love, just around the corner, it is common for those that are single to feel a cluster of dark emotions. Especially, as they see everyone gear up Valentines Day gifts, and announce plans for that dreaded fourteenth day of February.

Life for singles at the end of the year and the very beginning of the year, is never easy. Christmases are spent being hounded by relatives, wondering if you’ve got that special someone in your life, or if there’s someone you have your eyes on; twelve o’clock kisses to ring in the new year are something of a daydream, and to make matters worse – the world of retail begins to shove it into your face, as soon as the glitter and the lights of Christmas, hit the clearance shelves.

It’s enough to make any single, want to rip out their hair! But need not fret, because Valentines Day has a twin.

I introduce you, to the beauty that is Single’s Awareness Day,” sometimes also known as “Anti Valentines Day” celebrated either on the same day as Valentines Day or even the day after, all depending on preference. It is not a day to wallow away in self pity but a day to celebrate the awesomeness, that comes along with not being tied down, to another person.

Some may think of it is a joke, to be make one feel better about their lack of companion, but it’s a true day that is celebrated by actual singles.

People celebrate the holiday, by hanging out with friends, and even treating themselves; it’s a day meant for fun and smiles, so if you’re thinking of spending the day cradled up, wondering what you did to be single, you’re doing it wrong.

Some spend the day, giving gifts to other single pals or even to family members. Seeing someone you care about, lighting up at even the smallest of a gift, can leave you feeling fulfilled. There’s no greater gratitude, than making somebody’s day better. Like Christmas, it’s not all about the gifts. It’s about spending time, with those that mean the most to you, even if they’re not somebody you view romantically.

Others decide to go out with friends. Some friends may treat themselves to a fancy dinner, while some take a more rambunctious route and hit a party. The options are limitless! If you want to spend the day of love, annoying your best friend, as you shoot them and beat them in a game of laser tag – then you go ahead and do it! Be happy and be comfortable.

A night filled of Netflix and snacks, is also another relaxing choice. Indulge yourself in the fact that you’re free to watch whatever TV show or movie you want, without the possibility of making somebody mad, for watching without them. A good choice would be to stay away from those romance movies. Turn on something that will leave you silent, from laughing so hard.

The most important thing that single people can do for themselves on Single’s Awareness Day is to treat themselves, and to celebrate themselves. That is the essence of this holiday.

Gear up, a great day, for an amazing person is just around the corner!

Emily Gabert is a English/Communications major with a concentration in journalism and Broadcast Media at MCLA. She's trying to take life, one day at a time, and trying to become a better person by day. She likes writing, probably a little too much.
Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.