What to Wear: Airplane Travel Outfits and Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

April is officially here, and with it, of course, come term papers (please notice there is more than one term papers to write…), finals, and severe sleep deprivation. You know where this is going, right? Summer is almost here—only a few more weeks and you collegiettes will definitely be smiling at life all over again.

This got me thinking about plans, exciting adventures, and long flights to Europe with your girlfriends. But, as much fun as vacations are, the long, very long flights are definitely difficult, and if you are like me, deciding what to wear is even tougher: you want to be comfortable through your flights and your transfers and at the same time, you want to show up looking chic and not like a total slob! You never know who you are going to see on that plane.

Fear not—I have created a comfy but cute outfit for travel. Even if you are not flying, these are still great for car and bus rides. I also included a list of some general “do’s and don’ts” to help you look great, just like your outfit!

The casual and comfy look
A simple sheer top, like this one, is flattering and classically stylish. Pair it with bell-bottom jeans that add a touch of vintage to your outfit! Make sure to choose jeans that you know are not going to be uncomfortable, and that are not going to poke into you after hours of sitting. Don’t forget: comfort is what we are going for!

For accessories, I highly suggest bringing along a cute cardigan sweater; planes are air-conditioned and therefore cool.

You will also need shoes that are going to be very comfortable, even after a few hours of wear. I really love these flats, especially with this elastic band, which ensures that they will be comfy and not cause blisters.

I also suggest packing a pair of sunglasses in your carry on. Sunglasses are great to hide tired eyes! A brown, oversized style matches perfectly with this outfit.

The Travel Fashion Don’ts
Don’t wear pieces with a lot of studs or metal detailing: you do not want to set off the metal detector.
Don’t use too many scented products. You are going to be in an enclosed space: you don’t want to bother your neighbors.
Don’t wear too much makeup, especially eye makeup, to avoid any irritation.

The Travel Fashion Do’s
Do bring eye drops with you, especially if you wear contacts, as planes have drying atmospheres.
Do bring a moisturizer with you (a must for me) for both your face and your hands. 

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.