Urban Groove’s Tom Wolfgang: Why Dance?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Dance. What do you think of when you hear the word ‘dance’? For some, it means a way of having fun; for others, it’s a form of art, a way of expression, communication. For this week’s campus celebrity, dance is his creative outlet for self-expression, for fun, and his way of connecting with people. Tom Wolfgang, a second-year joint honours student in mathematics and computer science, explains what it is like to be a dancer in Urban Groove.

Who is he?

Tommy is a U1 student from San Francisco. He describes himself as very outgoing and friendly, which is why he’s very involved on campus – as a Frosh leader, a fraternity pledge, and a teaching assistant for a beginner’s hip hop dance mini-course. In addition to all that, he is the VP Sponsorhip and Fundraising of Urban Groove.

What is Urban Groove?

Tommy is excited to explain:  Urban Groove is a McGill Campus club, a dance crew similar to a company but more of a project – community for people to come and express themselves through dance.  Although very “chill” and open, the members go through a selective, competitive audition process where one has to learn a given choreography in a certain amount of time. But once admitted, he says, it’s a very open, welcoming group of people, giving off close-knit, family-like vibes. It’s like an immediate connection – you already share a passion. It has evolved from more of a free-style dance crew to a choreography-based one, with directors on the job for this responsibility. To fund itself, Urban Groove hosts club events such as “Twerkle Twerkle”, which is on the 24th of October, at Muzique!

When I asked him what makes Urban Groove different from the rest of the dance clubs present at McGill, he simply said “all different dance groups have different styles.” As he mentioned before, Urban Groove evolved from free-style to choreography-based, while McGill Street Dancers remains a free-style group. Mosaica, on the other hand, is more of a contemporary, jazz-based group. 

All these dance groups can cater to everyone’s niche, honestly, and that’s what’s so great about dancing here,” Tommy added. Urban Groove aspires to better their relationships with other dance groups on campus, and expand its presence on campus.

“Personally,” Tommy adds, “as the VP Sponsorship and Fundraising, I want to go above and beyond my quota and raise enough funds to subsidize other costs.”

How It All Began

“I joined a dance group in my third year of highschool,” Tommy explains. “It was basically a dance company, with directors and chereographers; we competed in regional dance competitions, and we actually placed third in one. Before I started really dancing, I used to think I was all that. I liked showing off my skills and the attention that came with them.”

He confessed that he has never gotten formal dance training, but once he took a dance class in high school. With that, he got very interested in dancing and started watching and learning from Youtube videos. But what he soon realized was that it’s about learning from others, enjoying the moment, and communicating with others through dance. He reminisced on when his crew participated in a competition called “World of Dance,” which he grew up watching. He gained valuable memories and experiences as a dancer from that event, and he began to learn dance as a form of art.

What Makes Him Dance

His love for performing is derived from what people call “stage high” – he loves the idea of a stage persona, which is very similar to the experiences of some actors. 

“You fit yourself to this new stage character, and you feel like you’re famous. Everyone’s quiet, they watch you, and you’re the star. It’s like that excitement you encounter when you discover something new. And it’s always like that, every time you dance. Just fun to do.”

His idea of dancing is similar to the process of a painting project, calling it “a collaborative work of art, where everyone is supportive, and is learning from everyone else.”

Tommy also has always had this admiration for hip hop dancers, and how they share their stories without any words, and become friends. 

He explains, “Like any other art form, you are letting yourself become vulnerable by sharing your work with others. Everyone has their own style, similar to sports, even. You can’t be good in every style, but it’s about what you’re doing in that moment.”

Why YOU Should Dance

When  I interviewed Tommy, I admired his enthusiasm for dance and told him that I was in fact jealous of his dance skills, which I seriously lack. He laughed and said something that probably every one of us readers can relate to:

Everyone says that they can’t dance, but see, that’s an excuse. Everyone can move their body, so everyone can dance. It’s just dormant in your body! It doesn’t matter how good you are. If you feel strongly about it, and you can bring yourself to it, then you’re automatically good. Something drives you. There shouldn’t be any pressure to be good, because that comes with time. Dancing should be for fun, for you to let go, as a creative outlet.”

So dance away, Her Campus readers. Express yourself, and have fun while doing it! Who cares if you’re not Urban Groove material — in the end, it’s just about enjoying the experience.

Images provided by the interviewee.

Averie Hah

McGill '17

Digital marketer, social media enthusiast writer, feminist, leader in training. Recent Marketing and Economics graduate of McGill. A social media enthusiast  - Instagram addict @ave.hah  - Tumblr junkie here  - See my other work here