Restaurant Review: La Belle et La Boeuf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

The first week back to school after the holidays called for both a celebration of new beginnings and a much-needed cocktail. On Saturday night, we bundled up, braved the cold, and headed west down Ste. Catherine to the corner of Guy. With empty stomachs, we shuffled in to La Belle et la Boeuf. Located just a stone’s throw from the McGill campus, we discovered it to be a great alternative to restaurants like Deville, where reservations are usually needed, or Distillerie, which requires a trek to the plateau and usually a lengthy wait time. Happy just to have shelter from the crisp air and flurries, we “ooh’d” and “aaaah’d” over the open floor plan, perfect for people watching. The restaurant was bustling, as the Montreal Canadiens skated across the huge TV screens mounted on the walls. Though a game was on, hockey took the back seat to the plates being carried by waiters to the tables nearby. Everything looked (and we soon realized, tasted) amazing and Instagram-worthy.

We settled into our seats and gaped over at the bar, stocked to the ceiling with a rainbow of alcohol bottles, as a bar tender who could have been mistaken for Joe Jonas climbed a Harry Potter-esque ladder to fetch bottles. As a mix alt-J, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and fun 90’s hits blared, we skimmed through the lengthy drink menu and settled on oversized drinks mixed in mason jars and glasses of “Beach Bum” sangria. As a part of my investigative journalism, I dutifully took sips of all drinks and they were all tasty, and all different from another, definitely something for everyone’s taste! They were priced reasonably for their size, $6 for a glass of sangria won’t prevent you from buying all the required textbooks and course packs! 

L’Herbeur, The Cajun, Beach Bum Sangria

Choosing a main was not any easier than settling on a drink. After much deliberation, a bacon grilled cheese, a “Popper” grilled cheese (stuffed with cheddar and jalapeno peppers **drools**), a “La Belle” burger, and a lobster mac n’ cheese were ordered. The grilled cheeses and burger came with the choice of fries or a salad, as well as one of the restaurant’s signature Kool-Aid infused pickles. The servings were more than generous and everything was spot-on and super satisfying. Though no room was saved for dessert, the menu boasted a few mouthwatering options (think deep-fried doughnuts served with warm caramel dipping sauce).

“La Belle” burger

Popper grilled cheese

Lobster Mac n’ Cheese

Overall, La Belle et La Boeuf proved to be a great Saturday location for catching up with friends: the waiter didn’t rush us from our table, the ambience was bubbly the whole night, the music wasn’t overly loud, and the crowd was young (the restaurant’s 18+, so not so young!). Wholly satisfied, we’d give the restaurant one big heart eye emoji and suggest it for when you’re craving over-the-top food or looking for a fun place for drinks. And if you have enough room for those doughnuts, let us know what you think!

You can check out the menu and get more information online.

Images are author’s own.