McGill Collegiette: Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Beep! Beep! That’s the annoyingly unwelcome sound of my alarm telling me I need to get up. I groggily roll over to turn it off, only to realize that it’s not my first alarm. This is my “you have 15 minutes to get ready or you’ll be late” alarm. How was it ringing already? I swear I had only closed my eyes thirty seconds earlier. I had barely gotten any sleep last night or any night before that.

This was McGill, after all.

I contemplate just skipping class and going back to bed. My body makes my choice for me as I instinctively lay back down, snuggle under my soft, warm covers and curl into a ball.

Suddenly, my phone starts beeping again. I groan, wondering what alarm could possibly be going off. I grab my phone and my heart freezes as I read the name of the alarm—“Midterm! Do not skip class!” I mentally curse myself as I stumble out of bed and quickly rush between my bedroom and bathroom to look human-enough to leave my apartment. There was no way I could look cute today and everyone was just going to have to deal. I throw on sweatpants and a McGill hoodie, and grab a granola bar before rushing out the door.

I speed-walk down Milton and instead of enjoying the McGill guy candy, I contemplate making better life choices, a.k.a. going to bed early, even though I know it’s probably not going to happen. I’m nervous for the midterm even though I studied a lot. I’ve literally been living in McLennan and the Law Library, plus I was up most of last night studying. Well, and procrastinating, and telling myself not to procrastinate, but it was so hard when things like Her Campus, Yik Yak, Youtube and Netflix existed. I glance at my watch and am relieved to see that I still have five minutes left when I make it to University Street.

The University-Milton intersection is notorious for bicycle-pedestrian collisions. If I could avoid almost getting hit by a bicycle, that’d be great. Being a pedestrian in Montreal is amazing, especially when Montreal isn’t showcasing its bipolar weather, but it is also a major hazard. Less than thirty seconds after I’d thought that, I had my very own almost collision with a bicycle. The rider, who almost hit me, barely stops as he rides around me. I shake off the shock as I shake my head. I am not awake enough for this. I walk through the bustling Milton Gates and finally make it to Leacock, where people are doing some last minute cramming and crying before the midterm.

Now, to get my Starbucks-deprived brain working, so I can pass this midterm.

Good luck with your midterms everyone. You are smart and you can do this. Now stop procrastinating.

Images obtained from:

http://www.boredofstudies.org

https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Fanta is a third year Economics student at McGill, who minors in German Literature and Political Science. She loves all things to do with writing, fashion, Queen Bey and Quesada. Note: On Wednesdays, she wears pink.