How to Find a Job on Campus or in Montreal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Being a full-time student is hard, and it can get stressful. You have four or five courses on your plate, as well as clubs, councils, teams, and your social life. You also have to worry about the ever-shrinking number in your bank account. Tired of the added money stress? Looking for easy routes to finding a part-time job? The McGill campus alone is full of opportunities – it is home to over 40,000 students, after all. If you don’t have any luck on campus, don’t fret! McGillians have the privilege of living in the heart of the city of Montreal, which means job opportunities are all over the place. Here are four easy-to-use online portals for accessing information about employment opportunities within McGill and the Montreal community.

McGill CaPs (Career Planning Service)

This place has tons of opportunities: On the website, you can find help with writing job-specific and general CV and cover letters, a calendar of workshops and other events held by CaPS, in addition to job postings for McGill and Montreal. The site makes applying online very easy: you can scroll through the “Jobs” section, upload documents, and apply in several easy steps; the website manages your application for you and sends it into the employer. You can also go and see an advisor in person at the CaPS office located in the Brown building. They have various drop-in hours and schedule appointments as well. 

On-Campus, Summer and Part-Time Jobs

Also provided by McGill CAPS, this section focuses more on campus-oriented jobs. You can find postings about becoming a tutor, research opportunities and other jobs, like a cashier at the bookstore. This is perfect if don’t want to worry about any language barriers, since English is the only required language for on-campus jobs. There is also information about acquiring a job through McGill in a foreign country, so you can expand your horizons while representing your school across the world!

Work Study Program

This program organized by McGill immensely helps students experience-wise – you can gain access to clerical, research, technical, library or other jobs on campus, and you may even work in a McGill-affiliated hospital or other organization. This program really connects McGill students to the world, and you get to bump up your CV while you’re at it! Work Study is primarily for students with a demonstrated financial need, so if you want to check your eligibility, refer to the “Students” section in the link above!

Workopolis (Campus)

Usually filled with “real-life” job postings, this corner of Workopolis is perfect for students looking to branch out of campus jobs while still appreciating the fact that the applicants often have minimal experience. On top of tons of job opportunities, there are also resume-building articles, and other information about choosing career paths and where your degree can take you in the future. If you scroll down, on your left there’s a section where you can choose your city to narrow your search. You can also choose between part-time, summer, internship, recent grad or entry level to narrow your search even more.

A little part-time work will make you and your parents really grateful for the extra money. You will be able to rest easy, and maybe even head out to St. Laurent on a Friday night here and there, all while adding experience to your CV. It’s a win-win-win, so get out and check out the job market! Good luck, collegiettes!

Images obtained from: music.mcgill.ca, www.jobsinderby.ca

Aspiring writer