Heroes of the Night: McGill Walksafe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Have you ever found youself speed-walking home from the library at 2 am, jumping at every rustle and shadow along the way? Have no fear, McGill Walksafe is here! Walksafe was founded 23 years ago in collaboration with the Sexual Assault Centre of the McGill Student Society (SACOMSS). Their aim was to combat the increase in criminal activity at the time by empowering others with their services to feel safer walking alone at night. Walksafe has since become increasingly involved with public safety and security on campus, while continuing to empower individuals in feeling safe and confident. 

Michelle Sung for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): What is the philosophy behind Walksafe?

McGill Walksafe (MW): Walksafe is a student-operated volunteer service that provides accompaniment to individuals who walk alone at night. The aim of the service is to provide an atmosphere of safety while reducing the risk of crime against our clientele. Our philosophy has always been one of empowerment, as we do not provide “security” services per se, but accompany individuals with the aim of making them feel safe and confident.

HC McGill: Who can call Walksafe?

MW: Anyone who is a student or staff member of McGill University can call Walksafe. You don’t have to be a first-year, intoxicated, or even afraid to walk home alone. We don’t mind walking with you for the simple reason that you just want to chat with someone. We’re here for McGill and we absolutely love what we do! 

HC McGill: Walksafe is often perceived as a service exclusively for intoxicated students. How are you trying to change this?

MW: We are trying to change this misconception by advertising our services and letting people know that we really do believe in our motto of “Anyone, Anywhere on the Island of Montreal”.

HC McGill: What is your biggest accomplishment as a club, so far?

MW: In 23 years, Walksafe has encountered many obstacles and had many moments of success. To choose one as the “biggest accomplishment” would be difficult. Overall, Walksafe has been witness to a significant reduction in overall rates of crime in the Milton-Parc neighbourhood and a shift in the campus culture from one of fear-based decision-making to one in which the promotion of an overall culture of safety is paramount.

HC McGill: How can people get involved and what is the recruitment process like?

MW: If you are interested in getting involved and volunteering with us, you can send us an email at executive@walksafe.ca. Our recruitment process involves a quick orientation and interview. If you have any questions or would like to know more about Walksafe and what we do, please check out our website or email us!

Images provided by interviewee.