Style > Beauty

Fenty Beauty: Bad Gal Riri Breaks Boundaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Our favourite bad gal Riri is doing it again. She’s taken over the music industry, the fashion industry with her iconic Puma slippers, and now, she’s on a mission to take over the makeup industry. We’ve seen the Kylie Jenner lip kits, we’ve seen hundreds of launches of different contouring and highlighting palettes – but what sets the Fenty Beauty line apart?

Today’s makeup industry is filled with thousands of shades of lipsticks, highlighters, eyeshadows, blushes, you name it, it’s all there. But when it comes to foundations and concealers, we’ve noticed a lack of selection in shades. It’s not rare to see makeup brands producing foundations divided into only three shades- light, medium and dark – the darkest shade realistically being just a more tan ned version of the medium colour; it is almost impossible for women with a darker complexion to find a foundation that matches their skin tone. This is a problem that is prevalent in the makeup industry and it has been for a long time. In Refinery29’s article written by Taylor Bryant “How The Beauty Industry Has Failed Black Women”, Bryant says it’s simply not enough to “slap Lupita or Kerry or Zendaya’s face on your ad and call it a day — you have to also deliver with the product”.

This is when the Fenty Beauty comes in. Recognizing the big hole in the makeup industry, Rihanna set out to focus her beauty line to include people of all skin tones. With 40 shades to choose from, whether you’re pale, tanned, or dark with cool, warm, or neutral undertones, you are bound to find a shade that matches you.

I’ve noticed that the Fenty Beauty line is primarily complexion-based. So what does her line exactly include? Let’s take a look at some of the products Fenty Beauty offers.

Killawatt Highlighters:

There are six different shades to choose from, the most talked about shade being the iconic metallic gold shade named ‘Trophy Wife’. Many reviews say this highlighter is not for those who are looking for a subtle sheen- this highlighter will give you the ultimate glow, so you can shine bright like a diamond.

MatchStix:

For all the cream contour lovers everywhere, this product is for you. There are a total of 30 different shades, 20 matte shades and 10 shimmery shades. With a big selection of colours to choose from, you will be sure to find one that will make you chiseled, glowing and beautiful.

Gloss Bomb:

This lip gloss will give you extreme shine to achieve those plump, oh-so-kissable lips. The brilliant rose gold shade will complement anyone’s skin tone. The lip gloss is also peach vanilla scented – who can say no to that?

Pro Filt’r Foundation:

Last but definitely not least, the face of the Fenty Beauty line: the Pro Filt’r Foundation. With 40 different shades to choose from and a blurring matte finish, this foundation promises a flawless complexion.

We are excited to see how the Fenty Beauty line will continue to evolve the makeup industry by promoting diversity and representation for all. Will you be running to Sephora to get your hands on the Fenty Beauty line?

Images obtained from:

http://i0.wp.com/mvslim.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/fentyxhalima.png?fit=758%2C683

https://www.instagram.com/fentybeauty/

Sources:

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/02/103964/black-hair-care-makeup-business

Sooji Hah

McGill '20

Sooji is currently a third-year student at McGill University majoring in Labour Relations with a minor in Management. Her life goal is to one day publish a book and see Frank Ocean live.