5 Easy DIY Face Masks for All Skin Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.
Winter is just around the corner and it’s time to pull out those big, puffy jackets from the back of your closet to give your body protection from the cold. But it’s important to remember that your face also needs nourishment and care during this season of harsh temperatures. So, collegiettes, I’m here to save your skin – and I mean it literally. Here are five facial masks for each skin type that you can easily whip up at home:

Skin Type 1: Normal
Having a relatively stable skin type means you can pretty much play with all kinds of masks.

Egg Yogurt Mask
Egg has many different vitamins that are nutritional for the skin, while yogurt helps to provide a bright complexion.
Ingredients:
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 tablespoon of plain organic yogurt
First separate the egg white from the yolk. Whisk the egg white into froth. Then add the yogurt to the egg white and mix. Apply the mix to the face and leave on for fifteen minutes.

Skin Type 2: Dry skin

Avocado Face Mask
Both avocado and honey will work to moisturize while the apple cider vinegar helps to clear your skin.

Ingredients:
  • ½ ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
First mash the avocado, and then add the honey and apple cinder vinegar to complete the paste. Apply the paste to your face and rinse it off after fifteen minutes. 

Skin Type 3: Combination = Dry skin + acne prone skin

Honey Cinnamon Face Mask
Cinnamon helps circulation of blood and oxygen on your skin and is able to kill the bacteria causing the acne. Honey helps to moisturize and its antibacterial property helps to prevent acne as well. Even just a raw honey mask can help with acne and moisture.
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
Mix the two ingredients well. Then microwave for twenty seconds and mix again. Now apply the chocolate-looking paste to your face for ten minutes until rinsing it off.

Skin Type 4: Oily skin

Tomato Face Mask
The tomato’s natural acid and its antibacterial property can help to regulate oily skin and combat acne. 
Ingredients:
  • 1 thinnly-sliced tomato
  • 2 tablespoon of honey
Mash the tomatoes into a pulp with a spoon and add the honey to make it more paste-like. Apply to your face and leave it on for fifteen minutes until rinsing it off.

Skin Type 5: Sensitive skin

Oatmeal Honey Face Mask
Oatmeal can help to calm irritated and dry skin, as well as combat acne by absorbing external oil produced by the skin.
Ingredients:
  • 1 serving of oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoon of honey
Cook the oatmeal and then add the honey to the warm oatmeal. After allowing it to cool, apply the mix to your face. Rinse off after ten to fifteen minutes. 

Choose wisely according to your skin type. Good Luck!