What To Look Forward To at the 2017 Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

With the biggest night of the year in movies just around the corner, we’re looking ahead in anticipation. Here are the moments you can’t miss this weekend!

1) Meryl Streep’s Award Show Ensemble: Karl Lagerfeld and Streep exchanged heated words this week over her outfit for the upcoming evening. Lagerfeld announced that Chanel would not be dressing Streep for the Academy Awards, after another brand offered to pay her to wear their designs for the evening. Although Streep’s representatives denied such claims, the buzz over what she will be wearing for the evening has certaintly grown.

2) Sarah Bareilles’ In Memorium Performance: The newly-anounced Broadway Star of “Waitress,” will take the stage to honor those Hollywood has lost in the last year including Debbie Reynolds, Alan Thicke, Florence Henderson, and Carrie Fisher. 

3) Lin-Manuel Miranda’s EGOT Moment: Nominated for his writing for Disney’s “Moana,” a victory for Miranda would make him one of the few to earn Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony Awards. A victory for “Hamilton” writer, creater and star, Miranda would make him the youngest indivudal to earn an EGOT ever.

4) Jimmy Kimmel’s Monologue: Will the famous late night host live up to his predecessors? Here’s hoping he keeps us laughing like Ellen Degeneres did two years ago!

5) Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling’s Big Night: Will the La La Land stars take home the evening’s top honors? Stone has recieved both the Screen Actors Guild Award and Golden Globe Award for her work in this film, will she three-peat? 

The 89th Academy Awards air on Sunday, February 27th at 8:30 PM!

Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com