This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Chance the Rapper has taken the world by storm. Whether you like him or not, you have most likely heard his name. For those of you who have been living under a rock, Chance is a rapper who recently won three Grammys. Normally, this wouldn’t be news. However, Chance won those Grammys without having been signed to a label, and Coloring Book, the album that won him said Grammys, was a mixtape. A freaking mixtape! This has never been done before.

Chance is unlike any rapper that has come before him. Since the very beginning he has remained dedicated to the city of Chicago and he has refused to forget where he comes from. Chance grew up on the South Side of Chicago; 79th street to be exact, and he takes so much pride in his city.

Chance made a promise to his fans that he would never sell his music. He has kept his word by releasing his music via SoundCloud and various other music streaming apps and websites. Chance has also done something most artists never would, he has made his concert tickets affordable. I purchased two tickets for his concert at Darien Lake for $122. That is an unheard of low price for a popular rapper.

In addition to all of these marvelous facts about Chance, on March 6th 2017 he donated $1 million to Chicago’s public schools. That is ONE MILLION of his own dollars out of his pocket to benefit the children of Chicago. Chance announced this donation at a press conference held at Westcott Elementary school just three blocks from where he was raised.

After he announced the donation, he took some questions from the press. Chance was asked why, after winning three Grammys, is he in Chicago fighting this fight? To this question Chance replied simply, “Because it’s what’s right.” This is a common reaction from Chance. When he cares about something he just attacks it head on, and refuses to quit until the problem is solved. After he announced his donation he thanked his fans saying, “I am excited to share that this donation was made possible by my fans.” He used the money that he made through ticket sales from his upcoming tour. Every fan that bought a ticket contributed to this magnificent act of kindness. How amazing is that?!

In addition to the $1 million he will be donating $10k to ten specific Chicago high and elementary schools, totalling a whopping $1.1 million. He kindly started these donations at Westcott Elementary.

I am a HUGE Chance the Rapper fan, and this is the reason why. He is a role model we can all look up to. The most amazing thing about Chance is the fact that when it boils down to it, he doesn’t really owe Chicago anything. He could have become successful and said goodbye, but he remained dedicated to the city that raised him. That is the way we should all aspire to be. Thank you, Chance, for everything you do for your fans and for your city. We’ve got your back and it’s cool to know you’ve got ours.

I'm a New Hampshire girl living in a Pennsylvania world. Lover of Harry Potter, the New England Patriots, and my bed. I think that about covers it.
Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com