Catcalling: Real, Damaging, and Disrespectful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

More open discussion on catcalling has been raised in the media since a video, featuring actress Shoshona Roberts, went viral. The video was published in late October, and now has over 34,000,000 views on YouTube.

It was created to promote the organization Hollaback, which is devoted to ending street harassment. With a feminist perspective in mind, the filmmakers intended to show how often a woman is catcalled in New York City.

In the video, Roberts walked around urban New York City with a hidden camera, filming the entire scenario, supposedly unbeknownst to onlookers.

Even clever editing cannot hide the fact that Roberts was catcalled some one hundred or more times, while walking around alone for a full 10 hours. Roberts was only wearing a simple, all-black outfit, nothing extraordinary- and certainly not seductive.

While some men said, “What’s up beautiful?” a seemingly harmless compliment, one man followed her around for a few minutes. Almost humorously, a guy told her, “Someone’s acknowledging you for being beautiful. You should say “thank you,” simply provoking her for attention. It was ironic because Roberts received many other catcalls in the video, and ignored each and every one. 

So many women have been catcalled on multiple occasions, and the experience resulted in discomfort as they continued to walk on their way. Outfits are not always a factor. You do not have to be wearing a string bikini for guys to notice you.

I recently was catcalled on Marymount’s campus, while walking to a night class. A guy shouted at me from his dorm room window, “F*ck me, please, please.” I did not even see his face, but ignored the comment and kept walking. And, when I did, I heard him and several other guys laughing, as if the comment was so entertainingly brilliant, and my ignoring such an immature comment was even more hilarious.

On another occasion last year, I had just parked my car on Marymount’s campus and was on my way to see Portfolio in Motion, our yearly fashion show. I was wearing a fitted black dress, but it was definitely not inappropriate by modern standards. As I left the garage a guy, whom I also could not see, yelled, “What’s up sexy?” When I did not respond to the comment, he yelled again, “Come on, why do you have to be so rude?!”

That is not the way to get positive attention from a woman with class. (Or, pretty much anyone, for that matter.) 

And I know I am not the only woman to experience this discomfort. I actually do not even identify myself as a feminist, but I stand up for what I believe is right. Catcalling is real, damaging, and disrespectful.

Most women are taught by their mothers or older sisters at a young age to ignore such comments and keep walking. Women are taught to lay-low, and not let catcalling affect their self-esteem.

I remember when I was 13, and walking back from the beach with my mother. A man driving by whistled at us, and she just told me to take it as a compliment. She knew that this would be a lifelong occurrence, so she turned the situation into me thinking of catcalling as an “unconventional positive.” It means you are H-O-T.

But, why do compliments of that nature make women uncomfortable? It does not have to do with being shy. 

The guys who catcall are not coming from a place of seeing a woman in the light of dignity. And, the main reason guys catcall is because they think they cannot get attention in any other way. So, these guys resort to obnoxious methods, like “What’s up, shawty?! If I gave you my number, would you talk to me?!” as we see in Hollaback’s video.

Maybe we should metaphorically “hollaback,” and knock catcallers off their moves. Women deserve to feel safe when they are walking alone, or even with groups of people. And real men- real respectful men- will approach you with class. They do not catcall, unless it is in jest and you are already dating. Hollaback!

What are your experiences with catcalling, collegiettes? Let us know in the comments!

Watch the Hollaback video here

Donate to Hollaback here