WMUC Operating Director Inna Lempert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Despite entering the University of Maryland as a student from Ukraine and only knowing her two cousins, Inna Lempert is now a super senior managing and becoming friends with 200 students.

Lempert, a mechanical engineering major, balances her rigorous course work, research position and job as Operations Director at the radio station, WMUC. She does all of this with a bright laugh and friendly smile.

“I think of it like chief of staff.” She said to describe her work. “I make sure everything is running and I get to meet a lot of people.”

When she first transferred to Maryland, Lempert was not used to such a friendly and social atmosphere, “In Ukraine, people are very reserved and don’t talk to each other very much.”

Yet Lempert was surprised to discover the radio station after the program director asked her out for the Movie Night WMUC hosts.

“I guess that’s how a lot of people get introduced to it, they didn’t know it existed but it’s such a cool thing,” Lempert said.

During her sophomore year, Lempert played her show called “Back In the USSR,” in which she played Russian styled music. When the uprising in the Ukraine began she immediately switched her format and highlighted the news back at home.

“It was a political show for a couple months.” She was able to bring in professors and a Russian writer to interview.

Two years later, Lempert changed her show to “Mood Swings” and her love for post punk or shoe gaze can be heard over the radio waves on Fridays from 8 to 10 p.m.

While Operations Director she has seen the change from what WMUC used to be up till now. Back when she first joined the station was made up only of a very small community of people.

“We were very, very, picky with DJs though we couldn’t really afford to be because our schedule was not even close to being full.” But with her help, the number of DJs for this semester has raised to 200 students, an impressive number from the small group of friends.

Next she worked on the training procedures to properly prepare DJ hosts when they get on the air.

“For my first show I remember being really nervous as a result of not enough training,” she remarks.  To change it, she set up a set amount of time for new DJs to attend shows and learn how everything works either for Digital or FM.

“We decided to jump start friendships with training.” She added. After joining WMUC Lempert felt like it was a second home and that feeling of familiarity continues.

“This is not just a professional space but a communal environment.” Lempert said. “It’s important that everybody is happy.”

The hope is to bring together a group of people who are passionate about music. For Lempert, music gave her opportunities to meet more people and grow comfortable with students and the culture at Maryland.

“I think music was the thing that bounded me with a lot of these people.” Since her time here she sees a positive change in herself. Music generates conversation and in turn can help form bonds.

“The great part about it is that you can be into really strange music, you think nobody has heard of but people here heard of it.” She said.

To hear either Lempert during her Friday shows or any other DJ throughout the week check out the Digital and FM schedules on their website: http://www.wmuc.umd.edu/