Why Thanksgiving is the Best Holiday, as told by Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.
  1. ​Being home for the first time in months:

The feeling you get when you walk into your home for the first time in forever is like a breath of fresh air. Although being at school gives us that taste of freedom we love, there’s nothing quite like our own bed, shower, or adorable little pets slobbering all over us to say welcome home. The greatest plus is that we can (hopefully), take a break from endless school work and just relax.

2. Seeing friends/family:  Your friends at school have more than likely taken on the role as ‘parents’ once or twice during the semester. Still, no matter how old you get, there’s nothing like coming home to the real ones- even if your relationship with them isn’t quit on the same level as Lorelai and Rory. We may not want to admit it, but we missed our family terribly, and there’s nothing more comforting than sitting around good food and enjoying the time together. Plus, thanksgiving gives us a chance to catch up with home friends on all our latest college adventures. Reuniting with the few home friends that you managed to keep in touch with while worlds apart is definitely important- those are the ones you’ll likely have forever.

3. Dinner prep: For some reason, one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving while growing up (and still is) was just the process of making all the food. Being able to cook in your own kitchen in the comfort of your own home is an especially incredible feeling after trekking to the dining hall day after day. As college students, just being able to control what ingredients go into the food we consume is a miracle in itself. Plus, it’s fun to contribute to the mayhem of thanksgiving. As Emily Gilmore insists, there’s a lot of careful planning and prep that goes into every meal.

4. Eating, obviously: At last, an escape from disgusting dining hall food! Not only do we get to enjoy home cooked meals, but Thanksgiving home cooked meals. This means you’ll be entering a heaven of endless turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Even better- no one can judge you for stuffing your face and collapsing into a food coma right afterwards. Sadly, we’re not all lucky enough to attend and eat at four Thanksgivings like the Gilmore Girls.

5. Leftovers for days:  I think everyone can agree that having leftovers from home in a college dorm is the single greatest thing ever. You can indulge in your Thanksgiving meal all over again while swamped with studying for finals. And If you’re on good enough terms with your roommates, you can even throw a cute ‘Friendsgiving’ with all the remains.

Although you may be itching to go back to school, you should take this time away to appreciate home. Remember to be thankful for why you are as lucky as you are, collegiates!

Rebecca Martinez is a sophomore at the University of Maryland. You can likely find her binge-watching Gilmore Girls, at the gym, or reading (and probably rereading) a book. She lives for all things fashion, writing, art, and movies. Becca hopes to take the world by storm and publish a novel, learn sign language, and a whole lot of other stuff that may not be possible in one lifetime. Feel free to follow her on instagram at beccs_hope.
My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.