Tips on Landing the Perfect Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

When the  Christmas lights come down and the New Year’s parties have ended, reality starts settling in that you, like a million other college students around the world, are still figuring out what you want to do with your career. Fortunately, an internship is just what you need to get that search going.

Internship searches can be a pain, especially if it is your first internship. Where to search? Who to talk to? It can all be an overwhelming experience. Lucky for you, the University of Maryland has just the resources and opportunities you need to get started on that search, and here are my go-to tips:

1. Do your Research

This is your first step to landing that dream internship and yes, you have to do additional studying on top of juggling your classes. Doing your research first will help you narrow down the specific industries you want to enter. This way you know what type of companies to look out for rather than going in circles and looking into companies that are not suitable for you.

After doing your research, getting started on drafting your resume and cover letter will be a lot easier because you can tailor it to the specific positions you are looking into. 

2. Network

As the old cliché goes “it’s all about who you know”! Having contacts in companies you are interested in working with can open endless doors. Not only does such an opportunity open doors, but you also have the chance to know what working for that company looks like, the type of people you would be working with and opportunities to grow within the company.

Most of the colleges here at UMD have regular newsletters that announce opportunities and events going on tailored to your field of study. Utilize this resource and attend as many events as you can. Going to professional events may be intimidating. You may not know what to say and who to talk to but you will never learn until you put yourself in the situation. When it comes to networking, practice makes perfect; the more you do it, the easier it becomes and very soon it will become second nature to you.

Also, use any social gatherings you attend to talk to people about their jobs. The most casual settings can be the best way to loosen up and talk to people with the least amount of pressure. 

3. Use the Career Center
The career center is the perfect place to get started on your career search! There is a wealth of resources. Whether it is helping you locate employers in your field of interest, resume critiquing, or business etiquette, you are bound to gain a solid foundation for your career search. 

The staff is well-versed on what a solid resume and cover letter should look like and are eager to help you improve yours! This is a resource that does not get as much praise as it should but is critical for your success in landing jobs and internships. Don’t have time to go to the career center? No problem, the Career Center website is also a great place to get started. It has a great amount of resources and tips and Careers4Terps is a perfect place to get started on finding job listings. Plus, it is exclusive to UMD alumni and students!

4. Professors

When you go to office hours don’t assume that they are meant solely for getting additional help with coursework. In addition to being very knowledgeable about the material they teach, professors are also knowledgeable about careers in their field of study. Prior to working at the University, they probably worked at some note-worthy organization that may interest you. Showing interest in your professor’s career and dedication to your studies may lead professors to share some cool opportunities with you as well as get you contacts with heads at some great organizations.

These are just a few of the many resources available to you as you start on your search. For more tips be sure to attend the University Career Center’s How to Find an Internship series throughout the semester! Details are available on the Career Center calendar.