Terrapin Pace is NOT Recommended: How to Adjust to the Rhythm of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

After a summer of splashing around in the sun, the time has finally come to put down those pool floaties and pick up those books! For many of us, the transition and reestablishment of priorities may be somewhat of a struggle. So here are a few pointers to keep you on track at UMD and beyond!

Get Organized, Stat.

This is a concept that many students struggle with, and it can only be cured through practice. Those “What am I supposed to be doing?!” thoughts can swirl around in your head and cause relentless paranoia, tampering with your good mood! As basic as it sounds, having multiple calendars can really save your life.

“I use a calendar on my phone for events that are happening socially so I am able to spend time with friends. I have an agenda I carry around for class purposes and I color code assignments in order of deadline so I don’t miss a thing,” says freshman journalism major Emily Morina.

Having multiple methods of tracking dates and writing down “to-do’s” in these types of resources prevent major oops’. Find a method that works for you, and stick with it consistently.

Visualize Your Goals.

As cliché as this may sound, you are here for the end goal of eventually having your dream career. There are lots of steps and barriers that you will encounter along the way, but thinking about how YOU personally plan to one day make your impact on others helps immensely.

The longer you take to start your work and the less effort you put in, the likelier you are to do poorly or find yourself in bad graces with a professor. Think about how you desire to help the world around you and work for that. The sooner you get there, the better – for all of humanity and for your wallet.

Don’t forget to Take Care of You.

Amidst all of the academic craziness, make sure that your wellbeing is in check. It is okay to take some time every now and again to make sure your health and happiness are still a priority. Staying balanced is the key to success, so get that facial!

Of course, these are merely suggestions. Find a method that works for you! Everybody is different, but we all want to succeed at a healthy pace here at UMD.

Happy Studying my fellow Terps!

Hey, everybody! My name is Jenna Pierson and I am a freshman Journalism Major at the University of Maryland, College Park. I am from Parkersburg, WV, which is a medium-sized town on the Ohio River. I love all things beauty, fashion, and nutrition/fitness. Some of my hobbies include leisurely reading, working out, participating in theatrical productions and traveling. Also, I may or may not love my dogs more than I love most humans. I also love to spend time with my friends, family, and long-term boyfriend. I am so happy to be a Her Campus Contributor!