Career

Meet Amy: The Next Rising Businesswoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Name: Amy Zhang

Year: Senior

Hometown: McLean, Virginia

Major: Finance and Information Systems

Study Abroad: Hong Kong, New York, London, Brussels, Amsterdam

Instagram: @amizzamo

Favorite Animal: Killer Whales

Favorite “Go To Work” Clothes: J.Crew, Banana Republic, Nordstrom and Theory.

Q: Why did you choose Finance?

I’ve always seen it as useful. Something that would help you work in a bunch of different industries. Every company needs someone with the knowledge of finance, and it applies to a wide variety of jobs in any industry.

Q: Are you in a business fraternity? What it’s like?

Yes! I’m in the International Fraternity of Delta Sigma Pi. It’s a relatively new and small chapter, but it’s one of the more diverse ones. It was easy to get to know people when I first rushed, and they helped figure out what I wanted to do in my career. They guided throughout the whole process of internships, before and after getting them.

Q: What were the internships you did?

In high school, I went to Beijing for the summer to intern at China Gaoxin Investment Company. It made me realize I wanted to study business in college.

In the summer after freshman year, I interned in the U.S. House of Representative because I had watched a bunch of political shows like “House of Cards,” “Scandal” and “Veep.” It was super cool to work on Capitol Hill. The representative I worked with, Barbara Comstock, was a huge advocate for feminism, which inspired me.

The summer after sophomore year, I interned at Child Care Aware of America as a data analyst. It was a cubicle desk job, so it wasn’t as exciting, but it gave me insight on how data can be compiled to show which programs in the company needed more support. I remember doing a lot of PowerPoint presentations, and Excel that summer.

In the second semester of junior year, I started looking for jobs. It was nerve-wracking. By the end of the year, I got an internship at Ernst and Young (EY), which is the company I will be working for after I graduate. During the internship, I conducted IT audits for the EY company in Virginia. I enjoyed the work environment in EY because they have many initiatives to promote diversity in the workplace, and gender equality.

Q: So, you’re working for Ernst & Young after you graduate, huh?

Yes… I am very excited. I will be moving to Seattle after I graduate to work in their risk advisory practice there. I chose to go to Seattle because I’ll be able to work with big companies like Starbucks, Microsoft, and Amazon who are clients there, and I also wanted to leave the DMV area because I’ve been here all my life. Seattle was just the perfect place to go.

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

I hope to have worked for three to five years, and then go back to school to get an MBA.

Q: What will you be doing in the summer after you graduate?

For the summer, I will be going to Greece, maybe Turkey. Then after, my friend, who is getting married, will be spending her special day in Utah so I’ll get to see the Canyons.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone with similar aspirations as you?

There are 86,400 seconds in a day, so don’t waste one. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing, it should just have a purpose. Just remember to make the most out of everything.

Audrey graduated from the University of Maryland College Park with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Information Sciences. She was born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She loves to travel around the world and always has her camera ready to capture everything so follow her on Instagram @audreynwid. Her life motto is 'Don't be afraid to defy the auds, pun intended.' Her furry partner in crime is a Shiba Inu named Hibiki who is quite the model and loves to go hiking. Check him out on Instagram @hibibblekiki
Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.