This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The decision whether to rush or not is a big one — but for lots of girls, it’s one of the best decisions of their college careers.

Some girls are confused as to what rushing is, and how it works. A lot of girls get the wrong idea about rushing from movies or TV shows– some like Greek made it look absolutely terrifying.

The truth is, rushing isn’t something to be afraid of. It’s basically just getting to know as many of the girls in a sorority as possible, and letting them get to know you too. I like to call it, “Girl- Flirting.”

Spring recruitment begins with a kickoff where girls meet their Rho Gamma, who will act as a mentor throughout the recruitment process. They are there to help out and answer any questions girls might have. The kickoff will give girls more information about the recruitment process that will be occurring over the next few weeks.

Rho Gammas disaffiliate with their chapter during the recruitment season in order to remain unbiased in the process.

Round 1 of recruitment, the house and values tour of all 15 houses, involves just like what it sounds like: a house tour and chit chat. Girls will talk to some of the sisters of each sorority, and get a general idea of what each sorority is like. This round takes place over two days. Each house visit lasts roughly 20 minutes.

The second round of recruitment is the philanthropy round. Girls will go to the sororities and get to know more about the philanthropy that they are involved with, and also get the chance to get to know some more of the girls in that sorority. Girls will visit a maximum of 10 houses, but don’t stress if you don’t go to all 10.

The third round of recruitment is a bit more formal than the previous two. It is the first opportunity for you to show your personal style. Girls wear nice clothes such as skirts or dresses, and watch a skit performed by the girls in each sorority. Conversations start getting deeper as you start making connections with the sisters and realizing where you belong in Maryland Greek Life.

“Skit round was my favorite round because it was where you really get to see the girls in the sorority interact with each other. When you watch them put on the funny skits and laughing, you can tell that the girls are genuinely having fun. It really allowed me to see the sisterhood in each sorority,” junior psychology major Marissa Berkowitz said.

The final round of recruitment is called preference round. Girls visit up to three sororities, and talk to some of the girls they have gotten to know throughout the process. This is the most formal, and meaningful round of recruitment as sisters share personal stories about why they joined their specific sisterhood.

Finally, recruitment ends with bid day, where girls find out which sorority they have been invited to, and then get to meet all of the members of that sorority.

“Before I rushed, I was worried that it would be like an interview, and I had to always say the right thing. I realized after that it’s not like that at all. I was just having normal conversations with girls who were actually really open and friendly,” Berkowitz said.

It’s important to remember that recruitment isn’t something to worry about. It’s just a time to get to know all of the sororities here at UMD, and figure out if you see yourself wanting to be a part of one.

Sororities are a great way to get more involved in such a big school. They offer a ton of opportunities that would not be possible otherwise.

“I made a ton of friends when I joined a sorority. I was able to meet a ton of girls who I probably would never have met otherwise, and now they’re some of my best friends,” junior community health major Joanna Millan said.

Sororities also offer so many leadership opportunities. No matter what you’re interested in, there’s usually a position that will work for you. There are academic positions, social positions, financial positions, and many more. If you want to get involved, there are plenty of opportunities to help build your leadership skills.

What girls also love about sororities is the opportunity to live in a sorority house. It’s like living in a house with your best friends — giving you a home away from home.  Every girl will agree, the houses cannot even compare to the dorms.

So when faced with the decision whether to rush or not, it’s important to keep in mind all of the positive things that can come out of the experience. Just think, you could come out with lots of new friends and a ton of great new opportunities.

What are you waiting for? You can start the next chapter of your college story by signing up today! http://www.marylandpanhellenicassociation.com

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.