Hillary Clinton: A Woman Dominating a Men’s Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Photo via Variety

Hillary Clinton delivered a poised and powerful performance in the first Democratic presidential debate of the season amongst her male counterparts, emerging as the winner according to commentators on both sides.

Unlike with the Republican debates, the Democratic debate had its candidates together– given that there are only six candidates currently in the race. However, only five candidates hit the stage Tuesday night: Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Former Gov. of Maryland Martin O’Malley, Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, and Former Gov. of Rhode Island Lincoln Chafee.

Democratic candidates hit the stage Tuesday night showing a different dynamic than their Republican counterparts have presented at their last two debates – for the Republicans – one of fiery rhetoric against other Republicans as well as directed at President Obama and Hillary Clinton. On the contrary, the Democratic debate was less focused on Clinton’s email scandal and President Obama ruining the county and more focused on liberal policies.

“Let me say something that may not be great politics. But I think the secretary is right, and that is that the American people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails,” Sanders said, which garnered applause and laughter from the audience.

“I’m still amazed the other four candidates made Hillary Clinton come off as the likable, reasonable, responsible Democrat,” Erick Erickson, a conservative radio host, said.

Clinton was praised on her preparedness and smooth talking debate skills. She spoke and debated confidently with rhetoric that stood out on the debate stage in Las Vegas amongst the other candidates. She provided listeners with rationale as to why she is the most qualified candidate to assume office in 2016.

She also addressed critics who say that she has shifted her stance on multiple hot topics, like gay marriage and the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

“I have been very consistent,” Clinton said. “Over the course of my entire life, I have always fought for the same values and principles, but, like most human beings, including those of us who run for office, I do absorb new information. I do look at what’s happening in the world.”

Sanders also had a strong performance, which reflected his desire to speak on the issues rather than attack his opponents. However, in contrary to Clinton, his debate style isn’t as poised and refined – and for many, did not seem as presidential.

“I have been back and forth between Bernie and Hillary, but Hillary won me over at the debate. She had really powerful answers and she did not falter when criticized,” sophomore Annie Scott said.

The other candidates didn’t make much of a name for themselves and rarely seized the opportunity to ignite their campaign.

Clinton did however, at one point go after the Republican Party for their stances on different issues.

[Republicans] don’t mind having big government to interfere with a woman’s right to choose and to try to take down Planned Parenthood. They’re fine with big government when it comes to that. I’m sick of it,” Clinton said in one of the only direct attacks to the Republicans.

Among many women on the University of Maryland campus, these comments resonated with them.

“[Clinton] really called them out with their big government opposition only being to issues they cared about, not things like women’s health issues,” sophomore Nikki Wolfrey said. “They pick and choose – and that is not okay.”

Clinton dismissed the idea that she wants to create a Clinton political dynasty saying, “ I am campaigning because I think I have the right combination of what the country needs at this point and I think I can take the fight to the Republicans because we cannot afford a Republican to succeed Barack Obama as president of the United States.”

Julia Bryant is a Freshman Multi-Platform Journalism Major in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland with plans to double major in French studies. She is also an avid member of both the Club Swim Team and Maryland Triathlon Team. She hopes to one day work for National Public Radio as a political correspondent! 
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.