Fix Your Winter Skin Problems with these Easy Face Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Our love towards winter is definitely bipolar, just like those temperatures. There is so much going on from the holidays, to snow sports, and cozy dates by the fireplace. But it’s really difficult to enjoy all those fun activities when your skin just doesn’t seem to cooperate. There’s no greater mood killer than the stress of a bad skin day, and let’s be honest, unless you’re Blake Lively you all have been there.

No one wants to socialize when their face is desert dry and bright red with inflammation (which always leads to breakouts), and most of the time the stuff you buy in stores just doesn’t seem to cut it. Or it’s just incredibly expensive, and we all know what that’s like on a college budget. These homemade face masks will be the reason you don’t have to cancel on that cute guy who asked you to his grab-a-date, and they’re easy and quick enough to do in your dorm room.

1. Avocado Mask 

I think we can all agree that there are few better things than a giant bowl of fresh guacamole. As it turns out, the yummy ingredient that brings guacamole to life can actually do the same for your skin! All hail the avocado. This superfood is full of good fats, and its oil is very similar to the oil we generate on our skin. When our skin is unbearably dry thanks to that bitter winter air, this mask is a great option to replenish that dewy complexion you’re craving while avoiding those heavy moisturizers that can clog pores. 

What you’ll need: Half of a ripe avocado, skinned and mashed (if you don’t have transportation to get to a grocery store, the 24 hour shop and Stamp often have                                              avocados for sale!)

Optional Ingredients: 2 tbsp. dry oatmeal, ½ orange (juiced), or 1 egg white

Wash your face with warm water, so your skin can absorb the oils quicker. Apply the paste on your face, and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.

You could eat the other half of the avocado while you wait, and enjoy the health benefits of consuming them too! I like to sprinkle half an avocado with salt and spoon it right out of the skin, or for an extra yummy snack I use some Tostitos as my spoon instead. When you’re ready to take the mask off, rinse your face with warm water, and pat your face try with a clean towel.

2. Banana Mask 

We’ve all felt the harsh effects of winter wind, especially considering our campus seems to turn into a massive wind tunnel. It’s the kind of wind that not even the thickest of scarves can protect you from. Lucky for you, this mask is on full damage control and at your service. This facemask is a soothing option for wind-burned, red skin that you can’t seem to get a handle on. Just eat half a banana for breakfast, and spread the rest on your skin!

What you’ll need:1/2 a ripe banana, Half cup of plain yogurt, 1 tsp. honey (optional)

Smash the banana up so there are no lumps. Mix in the honey and the yogurt thoroughly until the ingredients form a paste. After washing your face with warm water, leave on this nourishing mask for 10 minutes, and then rinse with cold water to seal your pores. Bananas are bursting with antioxidants and vitamin c, which will work together to brighten your skin and target the toxins. The yogurt helps to calm the redness and tighten your pores, locking out the grimy dirt, oil, and dry skin that can clog your pores. The honey is just an added bonus that will destroy any lingering bacteria.

3.  Pumpkin Mask

The pumpkin craze will officially infiltrate your skincare routine once you try this miracle worker. You can get the ingredients at CVS, or if you have some leftover pumpkin after making your Thanksgiving pies, definitely give this easy and fabulous face mask a try. Pumpkin is full of antioxidants and enzymes that can break down dead skin cells. Meanwhile the oatmeal acts as an exfoliator, so these two ingredients combined leave your skin smooth and glowing. Who would’ve thought that pumpkin worked magic for more than just lattes?

What you’ll need: 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, 2 tbsp. oatmeal, 1 tbsp. honey

Mix all three ingredients, and after washing your face with warm water, apply the mask and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then, gently rinse off and finish with a light moisturizer.

Finally, enjoy your beautiful, problem-free, winter skin!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.