Five Must-try Ethnic Food Places in College Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Living in a college town, it’s easy to become regulars at the popular restaurants like Noodles and Jason’s Deli because let’s face it: our options are limited and we have no money. It doesn’t take long before we grow bored of the usual and crave something different, and with four years at Maryland it’s important to explore all your options. This article gives you a sneak peek into five hidden gems of College Park that have just the kind of different you’re looking for.

1. Pho D’Lite

A lot of people aren’t familiar with what Pho is, so they hesitate to try this place that’s hidden in the shopping strip across from The View. Pho is a Vietnamese dish that consists of broth, noodles, and beef or chicken. It’s extremely fresh and satisfying, and you can get a huge bowl for a small price. Pho is one of my favorite hangover cures and definitely worth trying if you haven’t already! The spring rolls are to die for as well. Be sure to stop by for their happy hour – their discounts are great!

1. The Jerk Pit

This restaurant is easy to miss because it’s in a house tucked away on Baltimore Avenue, but it is definitely worth a visit. I never tried Jamaican food until I came to College Park, and now it tops the list for one of my favorites. You can get a lot of food for a great price, which is every college student’s dream.  This is probably the most authentic of the list, so if you’re really looking to step out of your comfort zone then The Jerk Pit is the place for you, but everyone who has eaten here has raved about it.  The restaurant has a really fun vibe too, so grab a group of friends and try it out!

1. Marathon Deli

If you’ve never had a gyro, you haven’t lived. This staple Greek food consists of a pita stuffed with lamb, tomato, onion and tzatziki sauce, and this combination couldn’t taste better. Located in the strip where Potbelly’s and Pizza Kingdom is, Marathon Deli is definitely worth visiting if you haven’t already. The gyro special comes with incredible fries and endless soda refills, and for under ten dollars you definitely get the bang for your buck.

1. Pupuseria La Familiar

At first glance, this restaurant name probably doesn’t draw the typical college student in, but if you’re looking for something a little more authentic than Chipotle, this is the place to go. They have everything from tacos to fajitas and quesadillas, but the menu item really worth trying is their pupusas, which are essentially thick tortillas stuffed with cheesy goodness. With all different kinds of fillings, they have a little something for everyone, and it’s insanely cheap too! The pupusas are only $1.50 each, so you can buy more than a meal for under five bucks.

1. Pho Thom

Appetizer and two entrees for 20 dollars? Count me in. Thai food is one of my favorites, and Pho Thom does it so well. If you’ve never had thai food before, it’s definitely something you should put on your to-do list. They have everything from noodle dishes to curry, and nothing on their menu disappoints. My personal favorite is the Pad Thai, but if you’re looking for one of the best appetizers out there, don’t miss out on the Summer Rolls.