Style > Beauty

Beauty Tips to Keep You Hydrated in the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Tis’ the season of cold weather, indoor heating and dry skin. These harsh winter months are upon us and it’s time to switch up your holiday beauty routine. The key this season is to keep your skin hydrated. It’s time to send itchy skin, chapped lips, raw hands, and parched locks packing. We’re all busy prepping for finals, but going that extra mile to keep dry skin at bay can make those hours in the library a lot more comfortable. These three simple beauty tips are guaranteed to keep you from looking dry and dull this season.

1) Exfoliate!
The first step in the war against winter beauty woes is to properly exfoliate your skin. You can buy a gentle face exfoliate at your local CVS or grocery store, but if you’d like to save your money for holiday shopping it’s easy to make your own exfoliate at home. An oatmeal scrub is especially good because it not only gets rid of dry, dead skin but it also hydrates. Follow the steps below for an easy, at home oatmeal scrub:

1 Tbsp. ground oatmeal (use steel cut oats, not instant)
            1 tsp. lemon juice
            2 tsp. yogurt
            Combine and apply.

Optional: Let your scrub double as a mask. Let it sit a few minutes before
scrubbing and rinsing.

When it comes to exfoliating you don’t want to stop with your face! Exfoliating your entire body in the shower is a great way to keep you skin hydrated and healthy. I highly recommend Burt’s Bees Cranberry & Pomegranate sugar scrub. This particular exfoliant is infused with essential oils that leave your skin feeling especially soft.

2) Moisturize, Moisturize…MOISTURIZE.
Once you’ve exfoliated your face and body, make sure you consistently moisturize. There is no better way to keep your skin from feeling dry and itchy than to stay on top of your moisturizing routine. For your face I’d recommend an anti-aging moisturizer with SPF for the day and a deeply hydrating moisturizer for the night. Even though we’re still young and the wrinkles are at least ten years away, it’s almost never too early to start using a moisturizer with SPF. Even in the winter months it’s important to protect your skin. Like with the exfoliating, make sure you moisturize your entire body, preferably after you shower. Applying lotion while your skin is still damp will help lock in moisture.

3) Don’t forget about your hair!
With all the formals and holiday parties, we often dry, straighten and curl our hair, leaving it dull, brittle and dry. While the winter months are tough on skin, they can be equally tough on hair. Just as you need to step up your skin care routine you also need to crank up your hair care. Before you add heat, hydrate your hair first! Hair masks are a good option and produce the best results when used once or twice a week.  For your daily hair routine I highly recommend Moroccan Oil. While this product can tend to be a little on the pricey side, a little goes a long way and truly makes a big difference. It works on all hair types, wet or dry.

Keeping your skin and hair properly hydrated will make the winter months much more comfortable. Don’t let the winter blues get you down, fight back with these three simple steps and save the stress for final exams.