This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Amy Vaccaro is a junior communications major who definitely knows how put her skills toward a good cause.

Vaccaro was appointed  as the executive director of Terp Thon for the 2014-2015 school year. She is now in charge of the executive board, and makes sure everything Terp Thon-related is going smoothly.

She first became involved with Terp Thon freshman year. She danced in the event with a group of friends from her dorm, and loved it from the start.

After she decided she wanted to get more involved, she applied to be a committee member sophomore year. She was then appointed as advertising chair junior year, where she helped develop social media campaigns and helped develop strategies to reach as many students as possible.

The Terp Thon board has a lot of new ideas for next year. They plan on having multiple new events in the fall, in addition to The Color Run.

“I think because of our huge jump in number of participants, it is going to open up a lot of opportunities for Terp Thon to be better than ever,” Vaccaro said.

This year, Terp Thon has entered into the Top 10 Dance Marathons in the Nation, so they are extremely excited to take things to the next level, she said.

Vaccaro will attend the Dance Marathon Leadership Conference in Chicago this summer, along with the other three Terp Thon steering directors. There they will collaborate with difference dance marathons across the nation.

Her position as executive director of Terp Thon isn’t her only responsibility. She currently interns for the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C., where she assists with the public relations campaign for the festival.

Vaccaro is also a member of Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity. She will be interning at Alison Brod PR this summer.

Keeping up with so many responsibilities might seem difficult for some people, but Vicaro’s love for Terp Thon keeps her motivated.

“I think it’s cool that a bunch of college students are willing to come together for one really awesome cause. Everyone gets so excited about it, and I’m really happy to be a part of it all,” Vaccaro said.

For those interested in joining Terp Thon committees, applications are open right after each dance marathon. Applications for this year recently closed, but she encourages anyone interested to come to all Terp Thon evens to get a head start on getting involved.

Vaccaro can be reached for any Terp Thon related questions at executivedirector@terpthon.com.