Alexis Jenkins Journalist and Club President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Since the beginning of freshmen year, Senior Alexis Jenkins has been involved in with Maryland Association of Black Journalists (MABJ). So it is no surprise that Jenkins is now president of the organization.

“It just seemed like a natural progression,” Jenkins said. A progression that moved from simply a member to photographer to treasurer to leading a group of over 100 students.

“It’s just fun because you really do build relationships,” the multi-platform journalism major with a certificate in women’s studies said. “MABJ is a fairly close knit community.” 

Upperclassmen approached her during the Freshmen Welcome at the Philip Merrill School of Journalism. The once existing black newspaper, Black Explosion, also advocated for her membership.

“There’s not a lot of black people in the journalism school,” Jenkins said. “So you know when you see another black person, its like ‘Hey what’s up?’” 

When she became president, Jenkins increased the presence MABJ has on campus by joining the black history month committee and teaming up with other student organizations.

“The main thing I’ve done with MABJ is to try to network with other chapters,” she said. In doing so she’s teamed up with SBJ, Society of Black Journalists, and works to bridge a gap with a chapter at American University.

Jenkins also works on the structure of MABJ. “I’m trying to make it more professional and giving a framework for the next E-Board,” she said. 

Indeed the next Executive Board will have a folder full of notes and helpful guidelines to continue running the organization just as smoothly as Jenkins had. 

Through her leadership position as president, it is a constant reminder to reach higher, especially as a woman. “You just want to set the bar higher and higher,” Jenkins explained.

Throughout her middle and high school years, she was used to taking charge. Before presidency at MABJ, Jenkins worked as photographer for The Diamondback, wrote for various publications and played club volleyball. Now she not only leads black journalists but also volunteers with Do Better and is part of the Hip Hop Festival Committee.

“I’ve dabbled in a lot of things on campus but now I’ve narrowed it down,” Jenkins said.    

Certified in women’s studies, she learned a lot about women and the various roles they play. “Women in leadership positions are extremely important because we are the majority in the world, in terms of population.”

“But we are not the majority when it comes to leadership,” Jenkins continued. “I think there needs to be more awareness of women’s issues.”

Jenkins says women in leadership positions are necessary because they help diversify an organization. “It’s important that women’s voices are heard and that there is also a forming of a collective.” 

But Jenkins also stresses, “Women and men are not posed against each other but there is a strive for balance and interconnectedness.” 

For those looking to become more involved in their organization, especially on an executive board, Jenkins offers advice from her own experience.

“The first thing is to get involved,” she said. “Preemptively exercise leadership in your own life.” 

Joining an executive board is a big deal and will require a lot of time so it is important to know what you are applying for. “Look at it as a stepping stone and build on it every year.”